Intermittant fasting and muscle pain w body aches

Options
I have been doing 16/8 of intermittant fasting for around 2.5 weeks. I started experiencing severe pain in my knees, hips, and general muscle soreness. Last night I had back pain that felt like back labor. I know I am missing something. I need a solution because I can actually do this lol. I might not be eating enough. I'm not as hungry but I do get headaches also. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Do you know how much you are eating?

I'd suspect hydration was the cause of headaches before nutrition, but nutrition could certainly be a factor. Do you tend to get headaches consistently... certain days of the week, certain times of the day, etc?

I can't see how meal timing would cause joint aches/pain....
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Agree with @jjpptt2 I can't imagine how meal timing would cause joint pain.

Are you doing new or increased exercise? Did you start taking any supplements?
    How much of a deficit do you typically have at the end of the day, and how much weight do you need to lose?

If you are experiencing severe joint pain, especially in multiple joints, I would schedule a checkup, and perhaps consider urgent care.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you consuming? Also how much exercise are you doing if any? You could also be undereating. Need more info.
  • nordicprincess20
    nordicprincess20 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Actually, it may be an electrolyte issue. I have come across threads elsewhere with people who fast describing the same issues. It is the solution I'm searching for. I have had increasing headaches in my life due to poor sleep and stress. (Sick family member w cancer is one reason). I do track most days but I have a tendency to not eat, so I know some days I havent eaten enough. I typically drink plenty of water but I'm going to pay closer attention. I would like to lose 20 pounds. I am very healthy and had no joint or muscle issues like I'm experiencing now. Maybe calcium and potassium...
  • nordicprincess20
    Options
    I'm not exercising because it is such a change and wanted to get in a groove with the lifestyle.I'm not tracking my protein intake but that sounds like a possibility too. How much protein is ideal? Thanks to all!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Actually, it may be an electrolyte issue. I have come across threads elsewhere with people who fast describing the same issues. It is the solution I'm searching for. I have had increasing headaches in my life due to poor sleep and stress. (Sick family member w cancer is one reason). I do track most days but I have a tendency to not eat, so I know some days I havent eaten enough. I typically drink plenty of water but I'm going to pay closer attention. I would like to lose 20 pounds. I am very healthy and had no joint or muscle issues like I'm experiencing now. Maybe calcium and potassium...

I was going to suggest electrolytes as well. Try adding some salt to water or some clear broth or something during your fasted hours.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    But should just doing 16:8 cause such a severe electrolyte imbalance? And would an electrolyte imbalance cause joint and back pain?

OP are you eating very low carb? Or put some other restriction on your diet other than just delaying eating for a few extra hours? I ate 16:8 for awhile and it just wasn't that big of a change, maybe it's just my perspective.
  • IwillLOSE40kg
    IwillLOSE40kg Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 16/8 of intermittant fasting for around 2.5 weeks. I started experiencing severe pain in my knees, hips, and general muscle soreness. Last night I had back pain that felt like back labor. I know I am missing something. I need a solution because I can actually do this lol. I might not be eating enough. I'm not as hungry but I do get headaches also. Any suggestions?

Wow that's interesting!
    I've been doing IF for about 5 weeks and have had sciatica about that long...
    How did you relate IF with severe pain, I'd be interested to know!
    I don't think they're related in my case though...
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    But should just doing 16:8 cause such a severe electrolyte imbalance? And would an electrolyte imbalance cause joint and back pain?

OP are you eating very low carb? Or put some other restriction on your diet other than just delaying eating for a few extra hours? I ate 16:8 for awhile and it just wasn't that big of a change, maybe it's just my perspective.

I would agree. 16:8 in and of itself shouldn't put that much strain on the body to cause issues. 16:8 + health issues or other dietary preferences/restrictions/habits or training (not an issue here, though) routines certainly could.
  • nordicprincess20
    Options
    I drastically changed my diet. That is the change for me. I am simply not hungry sometimes and eat much less. Because of this my diet isnt as varied. I also dont really do snacks consistently. I ate lots of fruit and veggies before. As far as the muscle pain and the correlation, I didnt have any of it before. I first noticed my legs feeling heavy and fatigued when going up stairs that I go up all the time. The muscle pain came soon after and the joint pain. So, perhaps lack of protein as well.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I drastically changed my diet. That is the change for me. I am simply not hungry sometimes and eat much less. Because of this my diet isnt as varied. I also dont really do snacks consistently. I ate lots of fruit and veggies before. As far as the muscle pain and the correlation, I didnt have any of it before. I first noticed my legs feeling heavy and fatigued when going up stairs that I go up all the time. The muscle pain came soon after and the joint pain. So, perhaps lack of protein as well.

You say you're not hungry sometimes and eat much less. Do you weigh and measure your food and drinks and log your meals so you know how many calories you're eating? The symptoms you describe, especially legs feeling heavy and fatigued could be related to just not eating enough. How much weight have you lost since you started 16:8?
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It’s likely not caused by the times you are eating vs fasting, but caused by the lack of eating when you should be. A lot of different deficiencies can cause achy muscles, magnesium, vitamin D, calcium, potassium, sodium, carbs, or water intake could be too low and causing it. Trying planning and prepping meals during your fast time for your non-fast hours to ensure you’re eating enough.

If you feel like you can’t eat enough in your non-fast time, consider extending your window to eat to 10 hours (you can scale it back as you adjust to this schedule)...I honestly changed my diet to a healthier one with the correct calories for a solid few months before I jumped into Working with macros...when I got that in order I tried out IF...but I eased my way into IF (10 hour eating periods for 2 weeks, 9 for 2 weeks, and then into 8 hours). This was Bc I felt like I was eating thanksgiving dinner every day trying to stuff my calories into 8 hours...I had to ease into it to get used to it...and I’m not sure if I love it just yet!

If you’re getting appropriate food/nutrients and still feeling these aches...have you upped your exercise levels? If so, overuse or injury can be the culprit, so take some rest to heal. How is your sleep/stress right now?

If none of that is the case, see a doctor, Bc something might be at play, such as thyroid issues or something
  • nordicprincess20
    Options
    I have lost around 5lbs. I did just jump into this cold turkey and didnt do it gradually. I did see that as a suggestion. I dont weigh or measure my food. I do try to track daily though. So, after reading everyone suggestions I'm going to take electrolytes and track my water consumption. I will try to have protein w meals and some veggies and fruit purposely.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I have lost around 5lbs. I did just jump into this cold turkey and didnt do it gradually. I did see that as a suggestion. I dont weigh or measure my food. I do try to track daily though. So, after reading everyone suggestions I'm going to take electrolytes and track my water consumption. I will try to have protein w meals and some veggies and fruit purposely.

Good start! How much weight do you have to lose? Probably some of that 5 lbs will be water weight, and some fat, but if you continue to lose at around 2 lbs a week and don't have a lot to lose you're probably undereating and may continue to feel fatigued unless your rate of loss slows down. Best of luck!
  • lg013
    edited July 2019
    Options

I found it hard to just jump into, so I understand the pain. Even though I gradually got down to a 16/8...I found I hated it and it greatly impacted my mood, energy levels, and performance (even my concentration)...I found for myself personally that a 14/10 is a much more realistic IF schedule for me. I get up early for work and usually don’t get done with workouts until 9:30 pm...I simply cannot go without a post workout meal and I can’t last hours into my workday without food, so I switched back!

• nordicprincess20
    Options
    I would like to lose just under 15. I'm small and my weight likes to hang out in an unhealthy range. I always lose very, very slowly anyway. I like the idea of changing the window to suit my schedule. I have a feeling I will have to do that to start exercising. I won't have the energy otherwise. I did see on another site that having more carbs with your last meal is helpful. That does seem to make a difference when I remember to do it in regard to energy and feeling full longer.
  • lg013
    Options
    I would like to lose just under 15. I'm small and my weight likes to hang out in an unhealthy range. I always lose very, very slowly anyway. I like the idea of changing the window to suit my schedule. I have a feeling I will have to do that to start exercising. I won't have the energy otherwise. I did see on another site that having more carbs with your last meal is helpful. That does seem to make a difference when I remember to do it in regard to energy and feeling full longer.

I’m also not really looking to lose a ton of weight. 10 pounds or so...not really concerned about the number, more about the body toning.

I found what helped me a lot was planning and prepping my meals during those fast times...at times where I normally would be sitting down to eat, I was thinking more about how to structure my meals and snacks (I was literally filling food into mason jars and using a dry erase marker to label the time of day I needed to eat it in order to ensure I was eating enough in the shortened time period!). Being more thoughtful about what and when I was fueling my body with was a huge help. I also set alarms in my phone reminding me to eat so I didn’t forget to pace and eat enough before a fasting period.

In the end...I felt like 16/8 was making me crazy in prepping and thinking about food all the time...and it didn’t fit well in my schedule. I worried it would potentially cause eating disorder issues...14/10 fits my lifestyle so much better.

• nordicprincess20
    Options
    I agree that it could cause one to think of food all the time! Ugh! I already feel better. I purposely ate more protein and fruit. I feel really full so we will see how it goes. Thank you all!