New and trying hard although confused

Options
Hi I'm looking for an answer, I am 5.1,
149.6 lbs and trying to loose 25 lbs in 3 months.
I dropped my self to 1200 calorie a day limit and work out on treadmill or spin bike 4 days a week, I tend to burn 300 calories on each.
Is this possible for me? And what should I set my macro's for?
I'm willing to do the work just so confused.
Thank you so much to whomever will help me out. :o

Replies

• Melelise89
    Melelise89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi conrod07,

1200 is not enough calories. It is important to eat at least as many calories as your body requires to function properly. https://www.livestrong.com/article/75995-calculate-bmr-rmr/ I would recommend doing a little research on the differences between BMR and RMR to get an understanding of them. Then, find a calculator to give you a number to start from. I had my RMR tested by a medical professional and have been using that number for a few years to lose, gain or maintain - whatever my goal is at the time. I have it re-tested from time to time but it generally stays within the 1600 to 1700 calorie range.

Bodybuilding.com is a pretty well known reputable site, here is a link to a RMR calculator on their site https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calrmr.htm. I find this equation to be pretty accurate, usually within 100 calories of my actual tested RMR. Here is a link to their BMR calculator: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm.

Once you decide to use RMR or BMR, and your have your magic number, you can play around with calories and macros to lose weight. Just remember that your body doesn't function properly if you don't eat enough- not only is that dangerous for your overall health but you could be putting your body into starvation mode and actually slowing down your metabolism!

I chose to use my RMR to be sure I don't put my body into starvation mode, and it seems to work. When eating to lose, I make sure to eat at least 1600 calories/day and try to eat no more than 1700. Any extra calories that I burn throughout my day from exercise, work or general activities put me in a deficit. I use a fit bit to keep track of my estimated extra calories burned. Works for me every time!

As far as macros go, it really depends on your specific body type and what your goals are. I am a weightlifter and find that the best macros for me to lose weight while maintaining lean muscle mass are:

20% carbs
    35% protein
    45% fat

I have played around with these numbers a lot! There is no one size fits all formula so you have to be patient and find what works best for you.

Just be sure to get plenty of exercise to keep yourself at a calorie deficit without going under your RMR or BMR :)

Good luck!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You really don't have enough total weight to lose to aim for such an aggressive pace. By eating 1200 and burning 300, you are netting only 900 calories, which is not a good idea.

You may be able to shoot for 1.5 lbs per week to start, but 1 lb per week is the most realistic pace for your stats.

Under eating for 3 months could lead to nutritional deficiencies and muscle loss, not to mention rebounding when you hit goal and your body is begging for a break.

My opinion would be to dial your goal back to 1 lb per week, log your exercise and eat back at least some of those calories, use a food scale for all solids as often as possible, and to be patient.

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each sub-forum, lots of great info there. Best of luck.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Why the 3 month deadline?

Great advice given above.
  • conrod07
    conrod07 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the intelligent advice.
  • conrod07
    conrod07 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone one for the insightful answers I definitely will be revamping my plan.
    I really is inspiring to have questions and get feedback that inspires you.
    :)
  • max1952gr
    max1952gr Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Best of luck.