Still....struggling with protein...

Options
I don't know what it is, but I can't seem to get enough protein in my diet!
I don't drink regular milk (digestive reasons).
I do eat cheese, yogurt, etc.
I gave up beef and pork for Lent.
AND I don't eat enough of the veggies to get it from them.

So, what are some easy ways to increase this intake (I don't do protein shakes....at this time, cost issue). I worry about muscle breakdown...I don't know how "lacking" one has to be for this to become an issue.

Replies

• ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it is, but I can't seem to get enough protein in my diet!
    I don't drink regular milk (digestive reasons).
    I do eat cheese, yogurt, etc.
    I gave up beef and pork for Lent.
    AND I don't eat enough of the veggies to get it from them.

So, what are some easy ways to increase this intake (I don't do protein shakes....at this time, cost issue). I worry about muscle breakdown...I don't know how "lacking" one has to be for this to become an issue.
  • Binkylove
    Options
    I have the opposit problem with protein........ i always go over!!!!!

Pamela XXX

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Chicken, turkey, and fish are your friends. Tuna and salmon packed in water are great foods.
  • hartkid13
    hartkid13 Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I find myself eating a lot of fish and chicken. If you like Tuna, then Starkist makes a great tuna kit that can help you.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    what about soy milk? i drink silk vanilla fortified soy milk since i am lactose intolerant and it helps get my protein up. drink 2 cups (500 ml) per day would give you an additional 16g of protein for 200 calories.

and yeah veggies don't really have a lot of protein in them...

oh and add beans to your diet! Very inexpensive way to add protein
  • ambleburner
    Options
    Hey...first time i've written a message thingy on here...

but i wouldnt worry too much about being slightly under....just eat protein rich foods that you can. Fat is more readily respired than protein - which is only respired when the body is in a situation of starvation. Concentrate on ur overall goals and after lent pick up with protein rich meats and im sure you'll be fine =]
  • Fuhgetaboutit
    Options
    Egg whites? :happy:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    nuts
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    yup, I was going to say almonds.. great source of protein and really good for you..

but fish and fowl (chicken and turkey) are also great choices.. as is soy anything..

good luck.. jb
  • gone2gym2befit
    Options
    Turkey, chicken, fish, soy milk and other soy products, cheeses and yogurts (expecially nonfat or lowfat cottage cheese), walnuts, almonds, peanut butter (try the smart balance brand), egg whites (Excellent source!), black beans and red kidney beans
    There are alsolots of granola bars now that are high protein (make sure they are healthy choices though like south beack diet brand)
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I do keep a carton of soy milk at school.
    I have some almonds in my desk.
    I have tuna, but I can't say I am a HUGE fan outside of a sandwich....
    Basically my diet will consist of fish, foul, and legumes during lent.... for protein.
    Which isn't bad....I just didn't realize how lacking my diet was without actual red meat.
    :laugh: