How to be Keto and Vegetarian

Are any of you keto vegetarians? If so do you have resources on how to do it healthfully?

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    Eat a lot of nuts, cheese, olive oil, butter. To get enough protein without too many carbs, most of your protein would have to come from dairy, I think. Somebody correct me, but I think all the non-dairy non-processed vegetarian protein sources come with enough carbs to make them non-keto. I'd include beans and tofu in that category.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    It's possible but not the easiest and in my opinion, far more effort and trouble than it's worth.

I would also echo the above that unless you have a medical necessity for Keto, I would not recommend it on a vegetarian diet. Plants are carb heavy, or can be and it can leave very little wiggle room for dietary adjustments and is very difficult to sustain for any long period of time.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Dairy, eggs, oils, butter, greens, blueberries, strawberries and nuts for vegetarians.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Not impossible, but the two don't really make ideal bedfellows. Your diet would certainly be lacking in much variety.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Tofu, Tempeh...avocado

But yes-I agree with some previous people here...it will be very restrictive and likely boring due to lack of variety and how many foods you have to cut out.

Why go this extreme?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    It's generally very hard to be both keto and vegetarian. I would strongly recommend picking one or the other, or neither if that's appropriate for you.

If you don't have a medical reason or a moral/ethical reason to follow one of these diets, then you really don't have to follow either one unless you just want to. Weight loss happens when you are consistently in a calorie deficit and has nothing to do with which specific foods you eat. You can eat anything that fits your needs and preferences as long as you are in a calorie deficit.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    edited July 2019
    ‘Dr. Will cole, Ketotarian.’ (Insert into your search vehicle of choice.)

ETA: not condoning.
    I think his work is interesting if overlapping those two priorities is your jam.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Dairy has carbs, so if you get your protein from dairy, that's not going to leave you a lot of carbs for vegetables.

Ex:
    • Stonyfield Organic Greek Plain Whole Milk Yogurt: 1 C = 190 calories, 9 g carbs, 21 g protein
    • Good Culture 2 % Cottage Cheese: 1 C = 160 calories, 6 g carbs, 28 g protein