How much weight is it possible to lose with diet alone?

Options
I want to lose between 50-65lbs.
[165cm F, current weight 179lbs]

I have some medical issues that make exercise too painful to incorporate into my week, (Fibromyalgia, Plantar Fasciitis, Accessory Navicular Syndrome, heart murmur and sharp pains in my left hip and top of shin).

I stand and walk (slowly, because its painful), for at least 8 hours, five days a week at work, by the time it's the weekend I'm pretty much dead, so only walk about 30-60 minutes a day.

My plan is to be mostly vegan on weekdays and eat meat and veggies on the weekend.

How much weight do you think it's possible to lose and how slow do you imagine weight loss will be with no exercise?

Replies

• lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    No need to work out to lose weight, or eat vegan, as others said. But you might feel better if there is a mild/lighter workout that you can do.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen not on the tread mill!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is better than no exercise. Whatever your body is capable of without causing problems, that's an achievement. But even if you can't do much at all, a healthy diet (taking your medical needs into account) can only make things better. You sound like you're already doing more than a lot of able bodied people!

I know that restricting meat and dairy can help some people with fibromyalgia, so your plan sounds good to me (as someone unqualified), but you should run any drastic change past a medical type who knows your history.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 25# with no planned exercise. As I got lighter, I hurt less (arthritis) and began to walk more, which helped with the next 25#. The first 20# came off in 5 months, the second 20# in probably 7 months, and the last 10 in 6 more months. Around 8 months in I started weight training (I had retired by then and had the time and space to do it) so that helped with body composition but I am pretty sure it didn't accelerate my weight loss.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    What did I do now? 5 Woos is a bit too much.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is driven by diet... weight loss maintenance is a combination of both...
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've lost 87 pounds...80 of that was lost through diet alone. I still have around 40 to lose but I just added a gym membership to the mix 2 months ago.
  • bosque1234
    bosque1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You can do it all with calories in and out. I use a wheelchair and have been losing only with a 1200 cal limit per day. At some point I will start using hand weights to strengthen and tone arms but will do from a seated position. I know another person here on MFP who lost about 100 lbs only with diet. You can do this!!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

I think because your post reads as though you are saying we can't lose ANY weight without exercise.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »

I think because your post reads as though you are saying we can't lose ANY weight without exercise.

Oh... that's not what I meant to say. Ok, sorry for that. I only tried to say that lifting weights might be a good idea, and that the lower end of TOs target sounds a bit too low.