Lost motivation

Options
I just feel so hopeless at the moment. Earlier this year I was so so motivated and driven and I was achieving so many of my goals. But now I just feel tired and out of control. My eating has gone way off track and I just can't find the motivation to keep going and become a healthier version of myself. What do you do to stay motivated in your journey?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    that is why I don't rely on motivation. It's fleeting.

I rely on a plan, and slower rate of loss not relying on exercise i don't love to do and easy to integrate. While going "super healthy and clean" and "exercise a ton" feels great at first especially as you may see quick drops, it's hard to keep up over a long time when life starts getting in the way. Plus I end up with lots of carvings.

Instead I eat more balanced (lots of healthy foods but also chocolate and "crappy" food) diet, keep to an exercise routine I am more likely to maintain (and lately with all my injuries this is really JUST walking). If life gets too much I'll eat maintenance a day or two. If I get a realy craving that last a few days i'll plan that eat (ex: fish and chips, full burger, big dessert, etc.).

I keep easy to make quick foods in the house that fit my calories and plan meals ahead so i'm not making decisions att he last minute when I am hungry and there is no food in the house.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I try to have "plan b" so I don't get hard on myself when I'm not doing well mentally, I just go to "plan b". For eating, it normally includes always eating at maintenance and only exercising when I want to. Basically, just kind of stopping to catch my breath. What also helps me is that I try to work smarter, not harder. I try to accomplish my weight loss goals in the laziest, back-of-mind way possible so I don't have to think about it, I just have to do it. Pre-logging helps me a lot in this respect - ten minutes of thought, and then I don't have to worry about it for the rest of the day.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I fill out my food diary a few days in advance. That keeps me engaged in the process.

I get on the scale every morning. That keeps me motivated.

I am involved in a few challenges in the forums. That keeps me disciplined.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Good advice on this thread. Another motivation skeptic here. Agree, identify some things to do and do them. If you are having a hard time doing anything, find what seems like the easiest thing to do and do that. For me that’s generally go for a walk.

Something that helped me when I was just dragging my way through basic steps was I told myself I was working on building good habits. It’s true. That thing you are dragging yourself through today will eventually be a habit.

Push back against hopeless. If you are doing basic CICO with a moderate deficit supported by a food diary, your plan will work. It’s just that your brain, that doesn’t like change, is trying to trick you into giving up. Habits are powerful and the brain has its own bad thinking habits that we need to push to change. Keep going. Persistence and determination will get you farther than motivation.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Motivation is, for me, a losing battle. Doing the things that are good and healthy are not thing I enjoy doing. So motivation will always be low on the list of why I choose to do something.

So much like paying bills or doing laundry that I'm not motivated to do, I find other reasons to manage my eating or workout or whatever else.

Sometimes I focus on my goals - I want to be able to run/do a certain race/event.
    Sometimes I focus on my dislikes - I hate my fat face.
    Sometimes I engage in the social side of MFP or social media...
    Sometimes I rework my numbers or put together a new spreadsheet - I'm a dorky numbers/spreadsheet guy...
    Sometimes I buy a new pair of running shoes - new gear is great way to spark the flame.
    Sometimes I focus on what NOT doing those things will result in - feeling like crap all the time, not sleeping well, being a bad parent/husband, etc.

Etc.
  • nordukes
    nordukes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I too have lost my motivation, but reading your comments really helps.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,273 Member
    Options
    I have found adding a few people as friends has helped as they send messages daily or make a comment that keeps me wanting to try to do well. It helps me send messages to keep them motivated.
  • CaityGracie67
    CaityGracie67 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your replies guys! It's honestly been so helpful hearing different POVs and thinking about these changes I can make in my mindset :) I feel more determined to reach my goals now!
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I’m extremely lucky in having a partner who is willing to try new things on this journey...the change up of activities is fun and we are finding new things we love. For example, our gym has racquetball courts, so we bought some cheap gear and tried it out...turns out we love it (not great at it but having fun and getting better)...so finding someone to help support your journey and be there with you to try new things until you find things you like doing is something that helps. Even if it’s just being with you at the gym so you don’t feel embarrassed or intimidated at all.

Also, try to build a rewards program to see if that helps. I have a friend that currently is rewarding herself with a day at the amusement park if she walks every day for 30 days. And the amusement park will be a lot of walking, so her reward builds in exercise too. You can take walking to all different places to make it more entertaining (hit the mall and allow yourself to splurge on something if you put in an hour of good walking around the mall, etc)...or just do small things that add up (park at the end of a parking lot to make yourself walk, take the stairs, etc)

I reward myself with gym gear/outfits. There is nothing that makes me more pumped or stand taller than to have a new set of leggings that I feel great in. Plus I’m proud of the goal I hit to earn them.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Also, while you have big goals—remember to be kind to yourself and that big goals are hard—and involve set backs! It’s great to have big long term goals—but that can kill your spirit. Set small achievable goals too and be proud of yourself more often...you deserve that!

• hillabeans24
    hillabeans24 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of motivation and little maintenance lol. I've really been struggling with this too. I was at my goal weight and so much more for several years and then I started nursing school. I've gained weight back and even though I KNOW what I should be doing and what works for me as far as diet and exercise to get back where I was, I'm not doing those things. Better put, it's hard to maintain. I think it's more frustrating doing a workout or exercise and seeing how much strength and balance I've lost or suddenly half my closet doesn't fit. The feeling like I've failed or set myself back so much makes it hard to maintain that motivation. But I keep trying, every day, to go back to basics. Walk a little more, weigh myself every day, take the time to prep my meals, accept my setbacks physically and keep up an exercise routine. It's not easy. I'm pretty hard on myself but I know that feeling physically strong and eating more wholesome makes me feel better always. Without fail. It's one day at a time. Overall for the past 7 or 8 years, I've used mfp and I've lost and gained weight several times. That motivates me, again in life, I'm not where I want to be but I know I can get back there because I've done it before several times. This is just another one of those times where I've set myself back, but I find peace and motivation knowing I can do it again and set myself forward. Keep at it. It's a LIFEstyle 🖤
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,571 Member
    Options
    I have health problems that are responding to diet and exercise, like diabetes. I went into this more for my health than my looks. I never imagined I'd be able to work out daily. I was badly injured and could barely get out of bed for years. Thanks to losing weight and strength training, I can now move enough to do things I couldn't before like doing my own shopping, going back to college, and lifting/standing more. It's not easy to get started not is it easy to stick with it, but it's worth it.