Keeping motivated

Options
82EC
82EC Posts: 123 Member
So I’ve lost 31kg and gone from obese to the top of the healthy weight range. I’m much happier with how I look, but my goal weight is 11kg away, so I still don’t look as fantastic as i could just yet. I’m struggling to keep up the motivation at the moment - especially as I’ve been on my journey for nearly 8 months now. I am finding that the walking I have to do to lose weight takes a long time, it is cold and dark here (in Australia) after work as it’s winter and I just find I want to get home quickly instead of exercising. At the weekends I’m often out with friends and it is hard to monitor the calories to know what I can and can’t eat. Any ideas for staying motivated into the long haul?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Congrats on your success!

For me it was over a year so it had to NOT rely on "motiviation". but rather a plan I could live with and reasonable rate of loss. I kept foods i enjoyed day to day, week to week. Going out was hard, I did it once in awhile (going to "maintenance" calories on that day).

With 11kg left (that's about 25lb) if you haven't already, you should reduce your rate of loss to 1lb/week. And by 10-15lb go to 05lb/week rate of loss.

Maybe consisder a diet break:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

in the winter i'd often go to a mall to get my steps in ;)

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    Good points have already been made so I won't cover those. Is there a type of working out you enjoy? Maybe it's time to try some new things. Experiment with online workouts. Get some weights. Look into a nearby gym membership. Take classes through a studio. Ride a bike. There's endless options once you think about it, you just need to find what works for you. Good luck!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Probably, since you are at a healthy weight range, you feel like you look ok so the motivation isn't there when you look in the mirror.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    82EC wrote: »
    bump

?

You didn't like the suggestions you got? I think there are some great tips there!

You may also consider taking a diet break and eating at maintenance for a few weeks, since you have been working on losing weight for a while now. Congrats on your loss so far!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    82EC wrote: »
    bump

?

You didn't like the suggestions you got? I think there are some great tips there!

You may also consider taking a diet break and eating at maintenance for a few weeks, since you have been working on losing weight for a while now. Congrats on your loss so far!

haha and here some of my posts get zero comments!
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss so far. It's taken me over a year to lose 60+ pounds, and I'm about 10 from goal. It is a struggle to keep it going when you're almost there, I hear ya. The other posts give great advice. You've come so far, don't give upnow!

• leobrah
    leobrah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I simply started exercising a whole lot more. I do eat less BUT I still enjoy alcohol on the weekends, I still have a really lovely meal every other day or so. I'm enjoying foods just like I used to. I just burn a whole lot more calories and it's working for me. I'm losing about 1kg a week, if I was strict and didn't indulge myself in some comfort foods I would lose more but it would feel more like a diet. Now it doesn't. I just exercise more and eat a little bit less, but the food diet isn't a radical turn and that I feel is the key to making it work. Yes it takes more time to lose weight but it's also less demotivating. A month of it doesn't feel as bad as being on a strict diet for a week.