Extra calorie allowances through exercise?

Options
DyanaHagan
DyanaHagan Posts: 4 Member
edited July 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi there! I have been using MFP for about a month now, and so far, so good! I've lost about 10 lbs and I am eating low fat, healthy meals with plenty lean meats, fruits and vegetables, and whole grains.

My question is this: When I work out (I walk) MFP adds the amount of calories I burned to the amount I can eat for the day. For example: I set my goal at 1350. Through exercise, MFP calculates that I can eat 1500 for the day instead, since I burned calories. If I do eat the extra allowed calories, will this cause my weight to stay the same, or will I still lose at the same rate?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies

• DyanaHagan
    Options
    Thanks so much for your response Panini! It makes sense. I have about more 63 lbs to lose. I notice that when I first start a weight loss program the pounds drop off much quicker in the beginning. How are you doing on your journey?
  • DyanaHagan
    Options
    Thanks Kuksabs! I was afraid of that! I think what may work (I am going to try it) is just eating slightly more on days I exercise.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    DyanaHagan wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your response Panini! It makes sense. I have about more 63 lbs to lose. I notice that when I first start a weight loss program the pounds drop off much quicker in the beginning. How are you doing on your journey?

there is often a quick water weight drop initially before things stabilize, very normal.

I've lost all the weight i had planned plus an extra 10-15 and am now trying to transition into maintenance. Took me a bit over a year to lose 55 or so pounds (most of the time was on the last 15 though - those are very slow)
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,734 Member
    Options
    I never ate back calories by MFP and will not. I got a Fitbit which is linked to MFP. My estimates changed Dramatically. MFP over estimates a lot IMO. Its based on a scale that is way to general for most people. I stick to a same amount regardless unless I KNOW I neefd more. Just my experience, my body is nowhere near the burn rate they calculate.

Some people do great with the calorie eat back. I look at exercise and nutrition as independant. This way I avoid fluctuations, stay much more consistant and steady
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    DyanaHagan wrote: »

That might be water weight :).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    This is normally a result of inaccurate logging for most people, either with the calories going in and/or the calories going out. If what you are doing works for you and you are losing at a healthy rate (no more than 10% of your body weight) there really is no need to change your approach. If it stops working then tightening up your logging will be advantageous.

I'm assuming you typo'ed @Lillymoo01 and added an extra zero to the 1% of your body weight per week you were planning to type!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    This is normally a result of inaccurate logging for most people, either with the calories going in and/or the calories going out. If what you are doing works for you and you are losing at a healthy rate (no more than 10% of your body weight) there really is no need to change your approach. If it stops working then tightening up your logging will be advantageous.

I'm assuming you typo'ed @Lillymoo01 and added an extra zero to the 1% of your body weight per week you were planning to type!

10% of your body weight a week would be just a little ... well a lot ... too much hee hee. That is what you get when you should be studying but looking at the forums at the same time. Thanks for pointing it out. I really am not that crazy.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    congrats on your loss, that's quick progress!

MFP is designed to have you eat back your exercise calories. The calorie goal it gives you (based on your input of height, gender, weight, rate of loss and activity level) assumes NO purposeful exercise. so calories to eat to lose at the requested rate.

Exercising increases the deficit, which can lead to not eating enough to properly fuel your body.

However, all of this assumes accurate weighing and logging of all foods. And accurate measurement of exercise calories. Depending on quantity of those exercise calories earned and accurateness of logging, some people opt to not eat them. If it's a few hundred calories it may just wash out inacurate logging. But that isn't how the app was designed to work. Some people find the estimated exercise calories are too high so eat a portion (because while the full number given may be wrong, 0 is equally wrong).

Your rate of loss is about 2lb/week or more (depending if you mean 4 or 5 weeks ish). That's aggressive, how much do you have to lose in total?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1

Surely its only aggressive if its a big proportion of the OPs weight?

If I lose at 2lb a week (I wish) then it wouldnt even be 1% of my body weight. I wouldnt consider that aggressive.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Your rate of loss is about 2lb/week or more (depending if you mean 4 or 5 weeks ish). That's aggressive, how much do you have to lose in total?

Surely its only aggressive if its a big proportion of the OPs weight?

If I lose at 2lb a week (I wish) then it wouldnt even be 1% of my body weight. I wouldnt consider that aggressive.

We know the OPs TDEE ESTIMATE doesn't exceed 2500 since MFP is proposing 1500 as an eating goal. Just on the basis of this long term deficit should probably be closer to 500 than 1000.

Then there is the confirmation request getting asked: "how much do you have to lose in total"? If the answer is 200+lbs instead of less than 50 there can be a revision as to whether 2lbs a week is as aggressive of a rate.

1% of body weight IS pretty aggressive. 0.25 to 0.75% not as much.

I know that the site and most easy to find guidelines all talk about weight loss per week.

But as with many recommendations we're given (or tools that are easy to use such as BMI) lbs per week are used because they're easy to grasp, quantity, and evaluate.

What drives the loss and the effects of the loss are deficit, size of deficit relative to TDEE, duration, and available fat stores. All things that are much harder to measure than lbs.