Seasoned senior

Options
Hi 67 and a seasoned dieter. This time determined. Got a back and knee problem. Need to give them a break. I want to know what kind of exercise most seniors do. Do you have a exercise plan that works for bad knee and back?

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    There is a site called eldergym that you might find useful. There are also exercises on youtube that you can do seated. All that said most exercises can be done by seniors if they start out slow and build up. Just watch and if an exercise becomes painful then maybe that is not the right one for you.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and recently purchased a seated elliptical trainer. They are often used in rehab for knee injuries and knee issues. My knee kept hurting when using a stationary bike, but I have had no problem with my seated elliptical trainer. First and foremost, I definitely would encourage you to see a physical therapist that can help you set up a specific program for your individual back and knee issues. To me, this would be of the most benefit, and safest.
  • sgtpeper
    sgtpeper Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical but on a 2 or 3 level. When a higher levers is used my knees start acting up. Usually 15 minutes at a high ROS. Then walk a lot.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    I'm 63, and have a torn meniscus for sure in one knee (and I'm suspecting the other), plus some osteoarthritis. I think what we can best and most comfortably do is quite individualized.

Is there any chance that since you have some physical issues, your doctor might give you a physical therapy referral? I've found those folks nearly magical at figuring out what strength imbalances or movement habits or tight areas are at the root of various physical problems, and identifying ways to work at improving them. When asked, they will usually offer suggestions about follow-up programs that may be most helpful for your specific circumstances.

Many folks with physical problems report pool exercise being a good place to start, if you have access to a pool: The water's buoyancy provides some support, but also helpful resistance. Even water walking can be good. Also, many YMCAs and some other gyms have specific programs for seniors, led by instructors who are knowledgeable about adaptations for individual circumstances.

Personally, I've found that I experience increased pain if I do things that involve impact (I don't even walk huge amounts regularly), or involve torque on my knees (like from fast changes of direction).

However, for me individually, I'm OK with things that involve more controlled straight-line hinging motions of my knee, even pretty vigorous ones. So, my main activities are rowing (on water when I can, machine when I must ;) ), and spin class. In summer, I'm on the water, rowing (the sliding-seat boats, so legs involved), typically 4 days a week, and spinning 2. (I've been pretty active for a while, but not all the way since youth: Before my cancer treatment in my mid-40s, I was routinely inactive, and I stayed obese while becoming more active, until about 4 years ago when I used MFP to lose around 50 pounds: Best move I ever made!)

I can also swim (but don't enjoy it, so mostly don't ;) ), and strength training is another super useful thing (I'm more likely to do that in the off season). Sometimes women our age think we can't strength train, but proper strength training - adjusted to your particular physical conditions - can be one of the best and fastest routes to improving physical conditions by letting improved muscle take some of the strain off joints. Those physical therapy people can help figure that out.

Best wishes for much success!