Diagnosis and weight loss STRUGGLE IS FOR REAL!

Options
I have had thyroid disease for roughly 8 years and was diagnosed with PCOS two years ago and recently diagnosed with a gluten allergy WTH?!? Since 2015 my weight has gone from 130 to 156. I am unable to lose weight! It doesn’t matter how healthy I eat or how much I exercise my scale is constantly creeping up. I have talked to my doctors and the response I got was “ maybe your body likes this weight” WTH REALLY?!? I want to prove these doctors wrong but most importantly I want no I NEED to feel good inside and out. I am looking for motivation and support from any and all who are willing to help me, be an accountability partner and maybe share their own experiences for inspiration.

Replies

• HazelMayes
    HazelMayes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Is your PCOS causing insulin resistance? Is that being treated? And how?

The only time I lose weight is when I’m on Metformin. All the exercise in the world and calorie counting will not drop the weight without it (except when I’m pregnant—I lose steadily the whole time and for a few months postpartum and then gain it all back plus some *sigh*). But it’s been so hard to find a doctor who will prescribe it—they all say to just exercise more. I was on it about eleven years ago until that doctor moved and the next took me off it. Started on it again just last month and am finally losing again
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just got diagnosed with PCOS and have borderline insulin resistance (I'm not QUITE in the pre-diabetes category) and therefore the docs won't prescribe me metformin. Over the last 6-8 months my weight has gone from 144 - 164 no matter WHAT I do. It's so frustrating. I've tried doing a shake diet, eating healthy, going to the gym. nothing makes a difference and I'm losing motivation to do anything
  • snapples12
    snapples12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed as well...we need to support each other ! The struggle is real
  • nordukes
    nordukes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am 66 yrs old and have Type 2 diabetes and it is a daily struggle. I start out so well in the morning and then as the day goes on it's down hill. But, I won't give up. I have 200 lbs. to lose. Soooooo hard.
  • Mouse816
    Mouse816 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for some motivation and accountability also! I have T2 Diabetes and turning 50 next month. Trying to lose 85 pounds.... it's slow and difficult. Getting my sugars under control is even harder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My husband bought me an Apple watch as an early b-day present. Hoping it helps me get a bit motivated! Add me, lets do this together.
  • pauldalton54
    pauldalton54 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Type 2 also. I have gone from a high of 279 to 156 lbs. and my readings are in the normal range now with meds.
    I count calories every day, walk at least 30 minutes every day as well as work with resistance bands a few minutes every day. Atkins protein shakes and microwaved sweet potatoes help keep me from getting hungry. I only eat 100% whole wheat bread and don't use mayo, mustard and tomato instead on my tuna and turkey sandwiches I have for lunch along with black bean and corn salsa with 11 Doritos every day for lunch.
    Good luck.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I've lost 95 pounds, mostly with the Bright Line Eating program; it's an online type of program. I've learned a lot about the neuroscience of weight loss; how what we eat affects our brain and how that keeps us fat. Many folks are able to bring their sugars down quickly because it's a no sugar and no flour protocol. I hope that helps.
  • melissatink73
    melissatink73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What are the best plans to help lose weight with PCOS? I have struggled for years now and extremely discouarged.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Do you count calories using a food scale whenever possible and keep a food diary?

Healthy eating and the gym may not be specific enough for you. Weight loss is the result of a calorie deficit. If you aren’t doing it, try full on calorie counting. There’s a learning curve. And sometimes it takes quite a bit of adjusting to get the numbers that work for you. But stick with it and it will work.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if yo have thyroid issues - are you properly medicated - when was the last time you had bloodwork done
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have had excellent results with an elimination diet. I stumbled on it, as we decided to give it a go for my husband's inflammation which the doctors have said "Your pain level is excessive for your diagnosis." Not very helpful, that. Turns out it also cured his snoring, as long as he stays away from his trigger foods).

For us, it was basically Whole30, minus nightshades. Basically we ate lamb, fish, chicken and a limited selection of veggies for four weeks, then slowly reintroduced the foods that had been eliminated. I didn't find any specific triggers during the reintroduction phase, but I am still eating according to the basic rules of Whole 30 most days with great results in both weight loss and blood sugar control. It is very clear that a single meal with multiple servings of carbs will throw me off for days, though.

My father swears by the Amy Myers version of this for his auto immune issues, but I couldn't figure out how to feed us without eggs (my husband currently has 3 a day with breakfast) and nuts (my go to on the go snack). And I still don't believe in the functional medicine explanation of leaky gut.