If skinny-fat is a thing, is fat-fit also a thing? šŸ¤”

Options
InspectorRed
InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
I go to the gym 4-5 days a week, I do cardio and lift weights...the last time I was at the weight Iā€™m at now I was wearing a Womenā€™s size 12 jeans, now I comfortably wear a size 8 and just left a store where all the dresses I tried on were size mediums and fit a little loose......so is fat-fit a thing?

Replies

• lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I donā€™t think size 8 or medium are fat! Youā€™re just fit!

I think itā€™s time to evaluate why you think you are fat Bc you arenā€™t!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    It is sad that some people think a size 8 is fat. To answer your question, Iā€™m not sure if it is a thing.
  • InspectorRed
    Options
    Iā€™m 5ā€™1ā€ and 165 lbs, that is still considered obese, thus my question.....
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    So, keep in mind, those are average weights and do not take into account the fact that different people have different percentages of fat and muscle. While your BMI might barely calculate to the obese categoryā€”thatā€™s just an average statā€”and most havenā€™t been hitting the gym that often for some time. So you might have more muscle composition that weighs more...its not an official tool to screen obesity. You can use other tools to measure your body fat more accurately and better understand where you are health wiseā€”

But that being saidā€”it sounds like youā€™ve made incredible progress...and you look and feel fit. So, why not simply see yourself as fit! Keep up the GREAT WORK! 12->8 is some serious work!
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yes fat fit is a thing and very real.
  • Ssssss666666
    Ssssss666666 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink it. Aim for healthy not size.
  • InspectorRed
    Options
    Don't overthink it. Aim for healthy not size.

I'm not stressing about it, just a question for conversation šŸ˜Š
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Fat-fit could also be called built-fat (think stereotypical powerlifters).

Vanity sizing is also a real thing...that explains the sizing discrepancy.
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Fat-fit is definitely a thing. In my running group there are marathoners and ultra- marathoners who are sooo not skinny.
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: Ā»
    At 5'8" and 240 lbs. I ran a half marathon in 2 1/2 hours and hiked rim-to-rim in the Grand Canyon. So with a BMI of 36+ I was doing things that a lot of people with normal BMI's can't (or won't) do. Sounds kinda "fit-fat" to me.

Wow you are a beast šŸ‘Š
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    very interesting, OP. yep, i'd say so! i never really thought about it, but people that are heavier than me can do so much more.
  • dlbohl1991
    dlbohl1991 Posts: 786 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I was skinny fat. The second pic is about a year ago maybe a little more the first one is about a month ago. Iā€™m 6ā€™3ā€ and anything over 200lbs is supposedly obese for my height however my after pic I weigh between 215 and 220. My point is donā€™t go off of numbers. Also body dismorphia is real, so please be careful. oonokviu5hko.jpeg
    w6ruqav1zgoz.jpeg
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I go to the gym 4-5 days a week, I do cardio and lift weights...the last time I was at the weight Iā€™m at now I was wearing a Womenā€™s size 12 jeans, now I comfortably wear a size 8 and just left a store where all the dresses I tried on were size mediums and fit a little loose......so is fat-fit a thing?

I'm not sure fat-fit is a thing. It's probably a combination of your changed body composition and a little thing called vanity sizing.

I try not to pay attention to the size. I pay attention to how a piece of clothing fits. I'm short and fat and my wardrobe has sizes medium to 2XL and 10 to 20. I don't care. If it looks nice on me and is easy to take care of (no dry cleaning!), I'll take it. :)

It affects men too. Guys can keep buying size 34 pants for 10 years and think they're not gaining weight, because "size 34 still fits me". Except the measurement of the waistband is not 34" anymore, in some cases it has gone up over the years and is sometimes up to 40".
    Some interesting articles on vanity sizing:
    https://time.com/how-to-fix-vanity-sizing/
    https://alltimelists.com/10-facts-about-vanity-sizing/
  • InspectorRed
    Options
    I know about vanity sizing....I guess I should say it this way, 165 lbs looks and feels much different now than it did 5 years ago because I am much healthier and much more physically fit now than I was then. But I also know that I am still fat, thatā€™s why I continue to get up at 5 every morning and go to the gym. 5 years ago I would not have been able to run a mile much less the 3 miles that I run on a regular basis now. I just think itā€™s interesting the effects regular exercise can have....even when diet isnā€™t on point šŸ˜
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Fitness doesnā€™t equal aesthetics. Fitness is more a measure of physical ability (strength and endurance). Yes itā€™s a thing...I can see runners and cyclist that have flab and they can still fang it. So yeah they have level of fitness to them they just have extra luggage which actually makes me wonder if they are stronger than the lighter guys šŸ§.