Arthritis

Options
Julowe9
Julowe9 Posts: 8 Member
Hi all, only recently joined. It's going well. Have lost 6lb in 3 days. I know this is just the adjustment period.
But I have Arthritis and will be wearing a knee brace permanently and will find exercise more difficult. Does anyone have any tips as to what sort of exercise I could do ?
Thank, Ju x

Replies

• Missisabella8842
    Missisabella8842 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in the same boat. I have bilateral knee pain after a dancing injury 3years ago, I’m just waiting for some mri results. I do suffer with pain daily and struggle to exercise. I was thinking about getting a bicycle to try and do some exercise at my own pace and get out and about.
  • Missisabella8842
    Missisabella8842 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have a lower back problem after tearing a disc and degeneration in my lower back so that dosnt help!! When I intitally hurt my knees I gave up chocolate and haven’t eaten it since, however I do have cake and need to start doing some form of exercise! What exercise do you do?
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I am 64 and have arthritis and bad knees, all the things that come with working hard all my life and getting old as dirt. Water aerobics is super great for people with bad knees, it takes off so much stress doing exercises in the water, walking in the water is great. Losing the extra weight is great also, I was getting cortisone shots about every 3 to 4 months for my knee but since loosing over 60 pounds haven't felt the need for one. And bike riding, if your bike is set up properly, and that is the key riding your bike is great and easy on the knees. Go to your local bike shop if you have one and ask them to set up your seat and handle bars properly and your knees will thank you. I just rode 15 miles the other day, which isn't a huge amount to many people but to me, compared to where I was last year it was huge. Good luck on you journey. Start slow and just slowly move more is my advice and add me as a friend if you would like the extra support, help along the way is always appreciated.
  • Julowe9
    Julowe9 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice.
  • TammyGermiller
    TammyGermiller Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi I don’t have diagnoses arthritis but I suffer from chronic joint pain from the neck down. This is what chemo did to be dispute my doctors denials. I used to be active. I used to be a Zumba instructor and now I cannot even participate. I mirrorvthe advice about using the pool. I do not swim but do cardio going back and forth. It’s helping me slowly. As a type A I tend to overdo and kill myself which I also working on. If you can get to a pool I recommend. My gym has a warm water po which excellent for arthritis
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Maybe focus more on your core exercise
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I found some great exercises on Amazon prime for seniors, they can be done sitting in a chair or standing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07CZ3BDS5/ref=atv_mv_hom_1_c_R1idc9_2_1
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis. I've already had a hip replaced at age 47, my other hip will need to be replaced. I have arthritis in my lower back that they can't do anything about. I am strict low impact per my doctor. The treadmill (walking, not running), the elliptical and the rower are my go-to favorites for cardio. I started weight lifting per my doctor and it has made all the difference in the world. I used to be in so much pain and now I am pain free. It really helps to strengthen the muscles around the affected joints to give them more stability.

Losing weight also makes a huge difference because then your joints are carrying less weight, which means less stress on them.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Swimming and water aerobics! Fantastic for joint pain and flexibility.