Question for women that run (or dudes with long hair)

Options
I am currently on doctor ordered recovery (injured), and I've had WAY too much time to think. My hair always bothers me when I am running, and I have yet to find a good hair containment unit (think: hair band, scrunchy, whatever) that keeps my hair off of my neck and face BUT doesn't add too much to the heat factor of running. I kind of like my hair---it's pretty sexy, but I'm not attached to it at all. When I use the popular hair bands, I usually put my hair in a pony tail as well. This leads to the hair band slipping and creeping up until I *have* to fix it...SO annoying. I've also run with a hat, but it ramps up the heat factor considerably.

Ladies, what product/item do you use to keep your hair off of your neck and face? Please be specific.
Or should I just give up and get a new haircut like this?
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m547/FabCheeky/Hairstyles that I like/haircutthatIwant.jpg

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have not tried either of these, because my hair doesn't bother me much, but I've heard they are great:

www.bondiband.com
    www.sweatyband.com

You could also tie your hair up in a bandana if that helps. Sometimes I do that when I'm cleaning to keep crap from getting in it, and to keep it from flying in my face.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I used the "no slip" goody elastics to but my hair in a pony tail, then I put a hard plastic headband on to keep my hair from coming forward.
  • SaraMoore88
    SaraMoore88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have pretty long hair, so I gather it all on the top of my head (looks dumb, works well) into a bun. My favorite hair elastics are these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030HPY74/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00021E5XU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1ZDB8408HQHR7D1P1TAS

Make sure you pull it as tight at you can! I then use several of these to keep the areas that tend to come undone in place:

http://www.amazon.com/Scunci-No-Slip-Grip-Barrettes/dp/B001QX2HXS/ref=pd_sbs_bt_6

Hope that helps!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    My hair has to go into a bun for every workout because I canNOT have sweaty hair sticking to my neck. Most headbands don't fit my head (I have kind of a small head/features - I have to buy my glasses off the kids rack and use pediatric trays at the dentist). Sometimes when I run outside I use a visor to help keep wisps off my face but still have the top of my head open.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Nothing. I let my curls fro out and go wild. I guess if it was getting in my eyes, I would just use good old fashioned bobby pins.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I used the "no slip" goody elastics to but my hair in a pony tail, then I put a hard plastic headband on to keep my hair from coming forward.

^I use those too and use clips to hold back bangs :) I put my ponytail as high as I can so it's not lying on my neck
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! !!!!
    I usually tie my hair in a pony tail--then braid that and tie it at the end. That's the only way it works for me.

I have tried 'cheap' hair bands, but they just creep up my head and they are totally useless to wear.

On windy days, I do wear a cap ,your're right, do not like the heat factor!!! My head has to 'breathe'!

sorry, the braid thing is the only helpful tool that I can think of....so I guess I need help in this situation too :)
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of french braiding, and taught myself pretty easily! Braid it tight, spray with hairspray, you are good to go! (My bangs are long enough to braid in, but if you have some that are not you can pin them back with bobby pins, then braid/hairspray.)
  • justine5587
    justine5587 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use these pins from Goody's : http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cmWL02XtCdU/TCEfU5favrI/AAAAAAAACFM/qbW7eItd26E/s1600/Goody.jpg

Only 2 of them can replace many bobbypins and it holds all day long (or at least all your work out!) I think it's better than a pony tail, you don't feel the hair and they stay right in place!
  • mommy2b2
    mommy2b2 Posts: 43
    Options
    I put my hair in a high pony tail and use bobby pins to secure my hair band.
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Sweaty bands + 2 goody no pain hair ties = perfectly tight pony tail and no fly aways. If I run longer than 6mi I have to do a bun or I end up with a rats nest... the joys of being a lady :-D Sweaty bands are like $15 a pop but SO worth it!!!
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I use a Goody ponytail holder then put on a visor to hold any small pieces in place. I get very overheated as well and can't wear a hat, so the visor works great plus helps absorb the sweat!! See my profile pic. :flowerforyou:
  • rebeccamilk
    Options
    Pull your hair back into a tight pony tail then braid it. Then put another hair tie at the end of the braid. After that you can wind it around into a bun and put a hair tie on that! lol I find that works well! =] Hope this helps you!
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Oooopppsss... forgot that I changed my profile pic. You can look at my photos and see a close up pic of the visor.
  • MelissaDawn88
    Options
    I have pretty long hair also, almost down to the middle of my back. I pull my hair into a normal ponytail and then wrap it up into a messy bun by using another hair tie. This keeps it off my neck and keeps it in place pretty well. I also love sweaty bands!
  • FallonMCal
    Options
    This is the only thing that worked for me when I had long hair.
    I put my hair into a pony tail where the last twist of the hair tie still held the tips of my hair. Then I put a nike sun visor on and secured the elastic on the sun visor over my "puff" of hair. If I didn't do that, my hair would just slide out of the hair tie.
  • vodkaswigger
    Options
    My hair is long and i wear a cap with my hair thru the hole at the back, still sweat a lot but better than it dripping as the cap seems to stop that xx
  • turnerjh
    turnerjh Posts: 17
    Options
    I usually wear a running hat or visor w/ hair in a ponytail. Sweaty bands and Chica Bands are also good if you do not want to wear a hat. I have very fine hair and even the no-slip headbands slide out of my hair but the Sweaty Bands don't because they are ribbon with a band of velvet that goes against your hair which grips better. They are expensive, though. I bought one and then made several myself for probably less than $3 each. I prefer a running hat or visor, though, because it also helps to keep the sweat out of my eyes. Under Armour hats/visors are good because they are extra absorbent.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I put a band around it to make a pony tail and then wind the tail up and around and cover it with an 18-tooth comb. This comb has to be pretty strong because it goes around the ponytail and grips the hair on the head for a tight fit. This works for me to keep the hair off my neck. Sweaty sticky hair sucks when you're sweaty and sticky too!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    High ponytail -- for races then I braid that ponytail and tuck the end of the braid into the back of my ponytail. For non races a ponytail is usually ok ... but sometimes I just have to make a quick messy bun. I use the Goody no slip barettes - 1 for the bangs and 1 in the back of my head. Then its a BondiBand ... love it!