Oatmeal Chocolate chip breakfast cookies (vegan too!)

Options
I put this recipe together by pulling from a couple of vegan cookie recipes and a couple of breakfast cookie recipes. I wanted this for so many reasons, I absolutely LOVE chocolate chip cookies, I wanted to make quick grab and go breakfast cookies, my sister is vegan and I wanted to start playing with vegan recipes and also because I wanted to find a low fat and sort of guilt free cookie recipe and they turned out delicious! Also my experience with baking has always been with the understanding you have to be exact on the measurements or it can be ruined so easily and that is not the case with these!

2 cups of flour (I've only tried white unbleached but I'm sure you could use whole wheat)
1/3 cup of white sugar
1/3 cup of brown sugar (feel free to use either or both)
2 cups of oats of your choice (I've only used Quaker oats in the canister, not quick oats)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
Carob chips/dark chocolate chips (or whatever you chose)

then, I started with a cup of applesauce and gradually used more until the consitency was doughy. I also threw in a few splashes of soy milk-I've tried plan, and vanilla and I've also gone without.

Optional additions are cinnamon, a banana, maple syrup, agave nectar, and honey

Then I bake at 350-375 and about 8-10 minutes

Also, once I added coconut butter and they were super yummy but it added fat, obviously.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there is quite a bit of room for error and each time I've made them even with variations they've turned out so delicious!

Replies

• thisisabbie
    thisisabbie Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Yum! I'm gonna try these for sure. Thanks for sharing :)
  • maxsdad9
    maxsdad9 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It is good to experiment with foods you like or crave to do without is not a good idea. I use Atkins Protein Bars of all varieties. I especially like their Chocolate Caramel Nut Roll. It tastes like a Baby Ruth but is much healthier in the long run. Makes a great Movie Snack. I may try your recipe. I would avoid the white flower and sugar. Over eaters anonymous thinks they are the cause of most weight problems. I suspect they are right. My mom, god rest her soul was a devoted OA person....
  • iambelle
    Options
    I totally belong in OA. . .

Oh, and yes! Try these! You'll love them! (and I'd love to hear reviews from anyone who uses alternatives to the white flour and white sugar)

:bigsmile:
  • jah1165
    jah1165 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump i want to try these
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    bump... Is that 1/3 cup of brown or white sugar? or 1/3 cup of both?

Sounds great either way!
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    bump
  • acoleman3
    Options
    I was just searching for breakfast cookies, just for something different. And voila - I found your post! I eat oatmeal almost every day for breakfast, and this sounds like a nice alternative. (Plus, I can pretend I'm being bad with having this cookie.) I think I may add some PB to it, seems like it would go well. Thanks for sharing!