How fast can you train for a 5k?

Options
So I started running a few weeks ago and was up to about 2.5 miles (12 minute mile) with short (about 3-5 minute) breaks in between each mile. I was really getting into it before i developed tendonitis in my calf down into my foot. I've rested it and it's really feeling much better (still on some motrin depending on how much i've used it but expect next week to be much recovered)

I want to do a 5k that's scheduled for October 15th. Based on how much I could do originally when i started would it be possible to start training within the next week (10 days on the outside) and be able to run the 5k by that time?

I need opinions as I don't want to pay and then realize I can't manage it after all.

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I suggest the C25K program - it slowly builds you up to a 5K within 8 or 9 weeks, but if you were already up to 2.5 miles, you might be able to start closer to the middle of the program and still be fine to do the 5K on the 15th. I think you could do it!
  • katg100
    katg100 Posts: 12
    Options
    Doesnt sound like you were very far away from being able to do 5K (half a mile or so). Assuming you can still do a 12 minute mile with a break I think you should be fine. Take it easy build up slowly over the next couple of weeks, should be fine. Of course everyone is different but I would surprised if you dont manage it.
  • PatientBearTiger
    Options
    So I started running a few weeks ago and was up to about 2.5 miles (12 minute mile) with short (about 3-5 minute) breaks in between each mile. I was really getting into it before i developed tendonitis in my calf down into my foot. I've rested it and it's really feeling much better (still on some motrin depending on how much i've used it but expect next week to be much recovered)

I want to do a 5k that's scheduled for October 15th. Based on how much I could do originally when i started would it be possible to start training within the next week (10 days on the outside) and be able to run the 5k by that time?

I need opinions as I don't want to pay and then realize I can't manage it after all.

No rule that says you have to run the whole thing. Honestly, I think 6 weeks is plenty of time considering you were up to 2.5. But even if you have to walk part of the race, you can still get through it. Go sign up!!!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the c25k program as well and start at week 4-5. Reading where you were before, I think this would be okay and would allow you to reach the end of your program by 10/15
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely get ready in time! I am training for my second right now, but I only trained for about 3 weeks prior to my first, I had to do the whole thing in intervals of walking and running, but I still stuck to a 12 minute mile pace. I am hoping to get that lower on my second race by doing the C25K right now.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'd say go for it, but don't push to have a super fast pace for this race since you're coming off an injury. Only run 3 days a week, and not a full three miles until closer to the race. Allow yourself some walking time and just enjoy the race! They are fun... and addictive!!!
  • tikkamasala
    tikkamasala Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it-- but just be careful coming back from that injury. Make sure you give yourself enough time to "heel". (get it :laugh: sorry!) Good luck!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I suggest the C25K program - it slowly builds you up to a 5K within 8 or 9 weeks, but if you were already up to 2.5 miles, you might be able to start closer to the middle of the program and still be fine to do the 5K on the 15th. I think you could do it!

This is precisely what I was going to say.

If you need a runner buddy to chat with, you know where to find me! I'm training for a 5k in November, so :)
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Of course it depends on what kind of shape you are in but I've seen extremely obese people walk it. At my first one I didn't train and hadn't run more than 2 miles ever. I just pushed myself through it and did it (was super sore the next day but I had no problem finishing). You'll be fine with what you can already do!
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    Thanks guys,

I think the end of next week I'm going to do smaller runs (good stretching before) walk for a bit and maybe a jog (4.5-5mph) for a mile and then rest for a day to see if pain occurs, and continue from there.

I bought super feet green as I over pronate a lot and I don't think my running shoes had enough arch support which may have caused the issue. this and I also had just started running on a treadmill.

I assume doing a mix of treadmill and maybe the street would be the best for training for this.
  • robmaguire1
    Options
    It took me 6 weeks to go from literally not being able to jog to the end of my street to running in my first 5k last weekend. I used the C25K program and it worked wonders for me. It seems like you are very close so you will be just fine. Good luck!!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys,

I think the end of next week I'm going to do smaller runs (good stretching before) walk for a bit and maybe a jog (4.5-5mph) for a mile and then rest for a day to see if pain occurs, and continue from there.

I bought super feet green as I over pronate a lot and I don't think my running shoes had enough arch support which may have caused the issue. this and I also had just started running on a treadmill.

I assume doing a mix of treadmill and maybe the street would be the best for training for this.

If you're training for a 5K I suggest street. Treadmill won't prepare you for the outdoor factor of hills, wind, temperature, different surface, etc...
  • liquidsnape
    Options
    C25k is a great strategy, I have actually been modifying it since I began running personal 5ks on almost every run, I did 3 10ks this week and an additional 4miles and 2 miles the other 2 days I ran this week.
    this from someone who got winding after about .50 miles close to 2 months ago. Best of luck to you and your training, and remember HAVE FUN!