50+ Yr Old Members / Low Carb Tips??

Options
2»

Replies

• ninoratsoc
    ninoratsoc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 68 and have a very slow metabolism due to hypothyroidism and pre-diabetes. I also have angina if I exercise strenuously - all of this makes losing weight very difficult for me and has caused me to sink into deep depression.
    I am currently trialling the fast800 diet which limits me to 800 calories a day (no simple carbs) and I do 3 hours in the gym 5 days a week on top of that. I have lost 5lbs in two weeks which for me is very good. They do have a 12 week programme as well but that costs money but includes support, as well as meal plans, shopping lists, trackers etc. I may try that if I cannot manage the 800 on my own. Before anyone says I am not eating enough, I can assure them that if I eat any more than this I simply maintain weight or if I go over 1100 calories, I actually gain. The diet was created by Dr Michael Mosley who created the 5:2 intermittent fasting diet, and the science behind it is very sound. I asked him if it was OK for a hypo to do, and he said if my condition is properly controlled (not sure that it is) then I should be able to lose weight like any normal person.
  • Dakar58
    Dakar58 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Dakar58 wrote: »
    Hi all, this is a very good thread :)

I can’t resist standing on the scales everyday, I wish I could. But seeing my weight daily is the only way I can keep myself in the straight and narrow.

Hi!

Are you seeing good, consistent results from your scale? If I were to weigh every day, knowing our weight will always fluctuate, it really discourages me. I know it shouldn't but it does. Gaining even 1 lb throws me out of whack. :p

Hi,

Yes, I can accept that there will be fluctations but I don’t let that dishearten me. I know that if I am in a calorie deficit the fat is coming off. I just love seeing I have lost weight on the scales. If I’ve had a relapse I won’t stand on the scales until I’m back on track.

• vickysanimalrescue
    vickysanimalrescue Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi Vicki, I am mid fifties doing Keto as well. I have almost done fourteen weeks. And I’ve lost 16 kilos. It was 17 , but I have managed to gain a kilo back-oooops. I am wondering if I am coming to a stall. I think changing things up a bit is a good idea. For me I must drink more water. Keep with it and congratulations on the 14 lbs.

Hi!!

It's terrific to hear of your weight loss. Congrats!! I know what you mean about stalling. It happens to most everyone. I've found, for me, if I allow myself one day each week, to eat whatever I want for a day, it kicks me back into losing weight. Or, sometimes, a person will have just one big meal, one day each week, and it stops the stalling. Many low carb folks do this and it is effective.

And, by doing the above, it doesn't kick you completely out of ketosis as long as you resume the Keto way of eating the following day.

Oh gosh..... water, water, water, UGH. My biggest downfall. Like you, I must drink more. :)

Again, congratulations on your weight loss!

• vickysanimalrescue
    Options
    I'm 50 and have lost 54 pounds, most of it this year. I'm now 6 pounds away from a healthy weight. I lost by simply weighing and logging my food, although I have gone back to a plant based diet this year.

I haven't found myself losing any slower due to age. I'm actually more active than I've been maybe my entire adult life and am now pretty healthy despite being obese at the beginning of the year and for the past 10 years. I'm loving watching this change happen within myself.

How wonderful!!!
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am 57 and have lost 44 pounds since february. I am reduced carb (as was pre-diabetes in Feb and have high LDL-C) but dr did not recommend going with keto for me this time - so probably more like Atkins stage 2? (moderate healthy fats/protein and all low GI fruits and vegetables allowed and low GI grains/legumes - total calories are 1400, but I an 4' 11''). Pasta (once a week) and pizza on occasion are OK as long as it fits within my calorie budget - since I do like those carbs this is more sustainable for me long term as I am working on adding in more salads and reducing the carbs when I do have pasta/pizza, etc. This is my third rodeo and do think it is important to develop a sustainable way of eating, and that with kids it would be a lot harder for me to do keto all of the time. Being short I found that the low carb/ high fat/protein diets without watching calories could put me over budget and would stall. So it might help to at least check to see what your TDEE or BMR is just to make sure you are not at a maintenance level.

With any diet there will be plateaus - or even ups/downs - I do weigh daily but have found that joining some of the 10 day Challenges is very helpful to see the variations in how people lose weight and get encouragement. My weight can fluctuate a great deal from day to day (water retention predominantly), there are plateaus and then whooshes so keeping track of longer trends is helpful! When I first started BMI around 35, I did have consistent daily drops, but now that I am around 26 the daily changes can be as much as +/- a pound depending on lots of factors, but I try not to let that bother me :-)

Last, being really short I have found that I have to incorporate exercise (weight training and cardio) to create my deficit to lose weight.

Great job on your loss and keep it up!
  • ProgressShowing
    ProgressShowing Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Plateaus happen in the keto world... just keep doing what your doing. I would also say don't worry about what the scale says, too many variables for accuracy. Instead, take progress pics or measurements to review your work. Personally, I'd rather look and feel better than weigh less any ways! Of course, weighing less is nice too... 😄

BTW, 50+ here too...

Hello, 50+'er! B)

I've learned early on the Keto (and formerly Atkins) trail that the scale can be your worst enemy. I try not to weigh myself except once or twice a month. But taking measurements is a good thing. Many of us lose inches faster than dropping pounds on the scale.

Exactly! Although, I prefer Progress Pics to measurements because it's easier to take pics and compare them side by side. 🙂 Besides, seeing is believing, right! 😄
  • vickysanimalrescue
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I am 57 and have lost 44 pounds since february. I am reduced carb (as was pre-diabetes in Feb and have high LDL-C) but dr did not recommend going with keto for me this time - so probably more like Atkins stage 2? (moderate healthy fats/protein and all low GI fruits and vegetables allowed and low GI grains/legumes - total calories are 1400, but I an 4' 11''). Pasta (once a week) and pizza on occasion are OK as long as it fits within my calorie budget - since I do like those carbs this is more sustainable for me long term as I am working on adding in more salads and reducing the carbs when I do have pasta/pizza, etc. This is my third rodeo and do think it is important to develop a sustainable way of eating, and that with kids it would be a lot harder for me to do keto all of the time. Being short I found that the low carb/ high fat/protein diets without watching calories could put me over budget and would stall. So it might help to at least check to see what your TDEE or BMR is just to make sure you are not at a maintenance level.

With any diet there will be plateaus - or even ups/downs - I do weigh daily but have found that joining some of the 10 day Challenges is very helpful to see the variations in how people lose weight and get encouragement. My weight can fluctuate a great deal from day to day (water retention predominantly), there are plateaus and then whooshes so keeping track of longer trends is helpful! When I first started BMI around 35, I did have consistent daily drops, but now that I am around 26 the daily changes can be as much as +/- a pound depending on lots of factors, but I try not to let that bother me :-)

Last, being really short I have found that I have to incorporate exercise (weight training and cardio) to create my deficit to lose weight.

Great job on your loss and keep it up!

Thank you!

Wow, 44 lbs since Feb and over 50? Amazing!! Would love to know your daily menu if you have one you follow.

I LOVE pizza but the pizza I like (DiGiorno's self rising Pepperoni) is 300 calories per slice and the carb count is sky high, as well. I eat one piece and gain 5 lbs by the next day. It's terrible. And so, I stay away from pizza 24/7. I also stay clear of two other favorites of mine... pasta and french bread. :'(

I appreciate your thoughts. In consideration of recommendations from many here at MFP, I am going to watch the calories. According to my stats with MFP, I am allowed 1200 calories per day. But it's the fat/protein/carb ratios that I will continue to watch closely. I don't have kids at home so I can do Keto without too much trouble. 'Keto with Casey' online is wonderful. She has greatly inspired me on the best (and most simple) way to do Keto. Once obese, she's now skinny, 60 years old, has super healthy lab readings, and is looking great.