18/6 fasting

Options
Hi
I’m going to try 18/6 intermittent fasting from tomorrow,I’m a milkman so I’m up at 2am everyday and deliver to over 350 homes so I’m roughly covering 6-7 miles walking/jogging,I’m planning on finishing eating at 6pm in the evening and fasting through until 12 lunch the next day, what I’m slightly worried about is will doing all that cardio(although low intensity)in fasted state risk muscle loss
Cheers

Replies

• kmfeig87
    kmfeig87 Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    Are you already doing low carb? I'm guessing from your name....If so, then the cardio in the fasted state shouldn't be a problem as you should be in a fat-adapted state, where your body will easily burn fat to get the needed calories to burn. If you are not fat-adapted, you may experience a sugar low when your stored glycogen is exhausted.
  • ketobucko
    ketobucko Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I’ve been having around 100g carbs a day for the past 10 weeks,this last week though I’ve dropped them to literally nothing,just maybe getting the odd few grams from avocados,seeds and nut butters
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    I just started doing IF 6 wks ago to lose wt and it has worked quite well for that purpose.

The only "exercise" I have been doing for the past 2 yrs is rowing. Did a lot of heavy lifting w/o doing much if any cardio for 3 yrs b4 that.

Lost/maintained my wt, increased my muscle mass and reduced my BF while onlylifting. Gained & lost wt, lost muscle mass and increased my BF while only doing cardio. Lost 10# in only 6wks while doing IF but don't know what effect if any it had on my muscle mass/BF; probably very little due to the short time span.

BF measurements are based on DEXA/hydro testing

Lesson learned, start lifting again to regain/maintain muscle mass.