Just Egg vs Real Egg

Options
I just tested "Just Egg" (plant based) after reading great reviews on it. It was a great new discovery since I love eggs.

1 large egg is +/- 3-3.25 tablespoons and is 70 calories. 3 tablespoons of "Just Egg" is 70 calories. So to bring a little more richness to the "Just Egg" I added 1 real large egg to 3 tablespoons of "Just Egg". They looked identical to fluffy scrambled eggs.

The reviews I read had one complaint that was the "Just Egg" alone could not be cooked to the softer side, but I got softer by adding the one real egg. I added 2 slices of Mild White Cheddar Cheese (90 total calories) and it was perfect.

Total calories 140 for the equivalent of 4 regular eggs, 1/4 the cholesterol. I am a convert!!! (230 calories with the cheese).

Has anyone else tried "Just Egg"?

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Why would you rather add 1 real egg and half just egg instead of just all real eggs?

I have tried them and loved them. I was surprised how egg like it is! It reminds me of egg substitute.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    It was my first go at it and I love real eggs anyway, so I decided to add one real egg since I would have usually eaten four eggs after my 689 calorie deficit walk. Who knows what I might do next time.....I love being able to more than double the food for the same calories and zero cholesterol. I might have to try that fake new meat now that is selling like gangbusters.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it worked for you. Eggs are my favorite food so I'll stick with the real deal. ☺
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I love eggs, so I’m not looking to substitute them at all. I do substitute chia seeds for eggs in baking quite often though.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    For those like me who's doc tells them that they need to lower their cholesterol, this is a perfect food to do it with while not sacrificing taste.
  • Jenanne31
    Jenanne31 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Don! I hadn't heard of this vegan product yet; I'll have to give it a try. Some people on the web are saying Just Egg is the next "Impossible Burger." I guess we'll see, huh?

https://www.washingtonian.com/2018/06/28/is-vegan-just-egg-the-next-impossible-burger/
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Yep! That is why I had to try it after reading reviews. I did not believe it myself till I tried it. I don't think I will give up my real meat though.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    dunno if its more healthy they added some fats to it. (canola oil) Most of cholesterol don't come from food. Its liver based. "Only about 20% comes from the foods you eat. (See illustration.) If you eat only 200 to 300 milligrams (mg) of cholesterol a day (one egg yolk has about 200 mg), your liver will produce an additional 800 milligrams per day from raw materials such as fat, sugars, and proteins."
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Of course I was curious so had to google it. I found a site that tried to look at all the bad points, as well as the good. One complaint by testers was that you can’t scramble them as soft as some liked, or as hard as some liked. Some said the texture was a little grainy. After you open the bottle, you only have 4 days to finish it. It looked like a pretty big bottle and suggested price was 7.99.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Kimondo - That was interesting. Thanks for the info.

Corina - I read the same thing which was why I added one regular egg which gave me the softness that I like. Texture was not grainy to me at all. Looking at the label it says "Consume within 7 days of opening." I purchased a 12 ounce bottle at Whole Foods. So 12 ounces would be 24 tablespoons. Since 1 large egg is 3.24 tablespoons, you get just over 7 eggs worth.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Alabaster, I agree with you if I was replacing all of my whole foods with alternative foods. How do you figure Just Egg is 'highly processed'? What qualifies as highly processed? Have you read the ingredients? Maybe the ingredients on the label I read all qualify as highly processed, but I can't confirm that.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Here's a nice article/explanation for the different categories of processed foods I think:
    It’s a classification system called NOVA that was developed by an international panel of food scientists and researchers. It splits foods into four categories:

Unprocessed or minimally processed foods: Think vegetables, grains, legumes, fruits, nuts, meats, seafood, herbs, spices, garlic, eggs and milk.

Make these real, whole foods the basis of your diet.

Processed foods: When ingredients such as oil, sugar or salt are added to foods and they are packaged, the result is processed foods. Examples are simple bread, cheese, tofu, and canned tuna or beans.

These foods have been altered, but not in a way that’s detrimental to health. They are convenient and help you build nutritious meals. See? Not everything in a package is bad for you!

Ultra-processed foods: Here’s the category where almost 50% of our calories come from – and where we should cut back. These foods go through multiple processes (extrusion, molding, milling, etc.), contain many added ingredients and are highly manipulated.

Examples are soft drinks, chips, chocolate, candy, ice-cream, sweetened breakfast cereals, packaged soups, chicken nuggets, hotdogs, fries and more.

Heart and Stroke CA: What is ultra-processed food?

The ingredients for Just Eggs taken from Amazon's product page -- if these are what you're eating they're highly processed and not better for you or more nutritious than eggs.
    61-RQjhC%2BQL._SL1208_.jpg

The same is true for the new plant based meat products -- eat and enjoy them if you like but they're not health foods or better for you.

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Ewwwww, that list sounds disgusting.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Alabaster, I agree with you if I was replacing all of my whole foods with alternative foods. How do you figure Just Egg is 'highly processed'? What qualifies as highly processed? Have you read the ingredients? Maybe the ingredients on the label I read all qualify as highly processed, but I can't confirm that.

You don't get something called "isolate" without a bit of processing. It's pretty much in the name.

• SchmancyName
    SchmancyName Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For those like me who's doc tells them that they need to lower their cholesterol, this is a perfect food to do it with while not sacrificing taste.

Interesting. I've always been under the impression that eggs are very healthy for you. And that the cholesterol in them is the "good" kind, and not the "bad" kind. But I guess that is fully dependent upon your overall diet and each individual. Now I'm thinking I should bring this up with my doc on my next visit. Since he told me to exercise a bit more as my cholesterol numbers were starting to seem a tad high. About two months ago I started eating three hard-boiled eggs for lunch, four times a week. Wonder if that is why it moved up. If that is the case, that is a simple fix.