Lifting and hunger

Options
I lift fairly heavy twice a week. Heavy enough that I can barely finish my last set, and I feel it the next day.

On these days, I am STARVING later in the day. Cardio and Bikram don't do this to me. . .in fact they both seem to lessen my appetite.

Is there a scientific reason for this? It's legitimate hunger, not just "I deserve to eat more because I worked out" syndrome.

What gives? Help!

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I lift fairly heavy twice a week. Heavy enough that I can barely finish my last set, and I feel it the next day.

On these days, I am STARVING later in the day. Cardio and Bikram don't do this to me. . .in fact they both seem to lessen my appetite.

Is there a scientific reason for this? It's legitimate hunger, not just "I deserve to eat more because I worked out" syndrome.

What gives? Help!
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    well they say that lifting weights continues to burn more calories long after you are done working out, a lot more than cardio does, so I would think you need more food on those days. I am sure someone in here has a scientific study, but not me today. :happy:
  • gggivens
    Options
    Physically, when you are stressing your muscles to the extent you describe, you are depleting the stores of glycogen (sugar) in the muscles themselves. This requires replacement from some source. The body is designed to either obtain the replacement from the food you have or will soon eat (thus the feeling that you are ravenous), or from your other glycogen stores, namely the liver or fat storage.

The actual time you are lifting weights is not the time to try to deplete your stores and lose fat/weight.
    The real benefit of weight lifting comes from the long term increased use of calories by your muscles.
    That being said, it is usually recommended to eat a portion of complex carbs before you weight lift- potatoes or whole wheat cereal are good choices. This will help to replenish the stores of sugar in the muscles, keep you from being quite so sore, and keep you from the potential post workout pig-out.

I also recommend some protein with your carb. This helps build the muscle back up after the damage is done from lifting. (My favorite pre weights snack is a large apple with peanut butter.)

Good luck... and keep up the good work. The benefits of weight lifting are numerous, beyond just weight loss.

153131.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary