Newbie Checking In

Options
Hi, my name is Pat(ricia). I found this tracker just yesterday and just love it. I had decided to stop dieting and was looking for a tracker to just count calories and carbs and this is perfect. When I say stop dieting I mean trying every latest fad diet and buying every diet book I could find only to be disappointed because the diets were too hard to follow or more often were too expensive and required buying a lot of specific kinds of food. After losing some weight and finding the diet either made me sick or did not work, I would then gain back any weight that I lost or even more. And I would end up with a lot of food that I did not like or did not like me. More money wasted. So after following all these fad diets I came to the conclusion that they all had one thing in common. Less Calories and More Exercise. So, I thought, if that's all it takes then I should be able to create my own menus based on my own tastes and budget and just keep the calories within my limit. Wow! What a revelation! I could not believe that I was so naive as to fall for all the hype.

Today was my 2nd day and after a shaky start I am starting to get myself in control. This tracker is a great way to keep track of my nutrition and exercise. Now I have to learn how to navigate these message boards. I am a senior and would appreciate if someone could direct me to a senior group if there is one. I can't seem to find message boards geared to certain groups.

Thanks everyone and hope you all reach your goals!

Replies

• carlsbadphil
    carlsbadphil Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah this has been a good program for me too. I won't lie to myself and it makes me take notice of what I am taking in. Plus people on here at MFP are nice and encouraging. So good luck to you!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!
  • pearlymae
    pearlymae Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    WELCOME TO A SUCCESSFUL WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY, I am also a senior, I started a bout 9 weeks ago, and I am down about 25 lbs, once I decided to do it, it has been pretty easy, I have over 100 lbs, to lose and have health issues, You are right we just need to eat healhty and stay in our callorie & nutrition range and we will lose weight and feed much better about ourselves.
    I am still learning how to use the MFP but it is a wonderful tool, lots of encouragement, inspration, support and sucess stories.

Your Friend & Pal on this Jorney to Weight Loss, Pearl ( you may add me as a friend if you wish) :flowerforyou:
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I found out that diets DON'T work! I have finally found a way of eating that has helped me lose weight and maintain. I've made healthy eating a lifestyle, not a diet!
    You've came to the right place to learn all this. The support and motivation on MFP is amazing. I've been a member for years now and love it! I love it even better now that there is an iphone app...YEAH! :)
    Good luck! Have a happy and healthy night! Kelly :)
  • taranicole8402
    Options
    I've been on here 5 days so far. The success stories are so inspiring! I, like you, am tired of "fad dieting" and can't wait to see how this less calories/more exercise plan will work for me! I hope that by using this site over time, that it will become a lifestyle change and not just another "fad". Good luck to us both!
  • mcleo47
    mcleo47 Posts: 18
    Options
    Welcome. As you contnue you'll learn and enjoy the weight will take care of it's self. Set up some support with othe MFP members. Together we can...