also learn about and practice mindful eating
  • _calmjam
    _calmjam Posts: 18 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I find that logging what I'm going to eat ahead of time works like a last-minute check. "Oh. That PB&J sandwich is going to run me about 400 calories. Am I sure I want it? Hmm... maybe if I use half the PB and spread it on a rice cake with a teaspoon of cinnamon sugar... yeah, that'll give me more calories for later in the day."

(Full disclosure: I'm 5'3" and if I don't exercise, I'm on 1360 calories to lose 1/2lb per week. 400 calories for me hurts more than it would someone taller and heavier with more to lose.)

I pre-log. I find if I go into the kitchen hungry and wondering what to make, I'm much more prone to overeat. I have the same breakfast and I sit down while eating and log in what I plan on eating based on the day. I don't make myself eat it, but I plan for that. I 'block out' space in my calories for that meal. I allow myself the ability to change, but I try to keep it to the same parameters. I also have an 'evening' (post-dinner) meal that I toss something like a yogurt into in the start of the day. Some days I'll give it up to free up calories, it gives me a buffer to keep me from going over.

But most of all, it's just that control. I am not looking at XX00 calories going 'no problem, I got this', instead I'm looking at 350 calories or whatever for that meal thinking 'how do I do this the right way so I don't effect my dinner'. It's almost a game, I think of it as 'food tetris'. But it supplies a structure of control. For some that is great, for others maybe not so much.