Does anybody know how to restore extremely damaged and fried hair?

Options
guacassassin
guacassassin Posts: 26 Member
I'm a natural brunette. Starting in my late teens, I've died it a few different colors. Red, black,different shades of brown. Despite what everyone told me, I went against the advice and bleached my hair about 1.5 years ago because I wanted to go blonde.

While the bleach just added a whole additional amount of damage, my hair was long destroyed before I even first started coloring it. Since I was little, I have grown up using heat tools on high temperatures without any protectant.

Now, my hair is finally getting back to the natural color, which I'm super happy about, but it is beyond fried. It's awful. I just want it to be silky smooth like it used to be.

Now my question....does anybody have any methods or products that they can say actually worked for them if you have had a similar issue? I've been reading everything online, and it's all different- some posts say once your hair is fried there is no point of return. Others swear by extreme expensive products. I'm willing to put money towards it, but I just dont want to waste money if it's a scam. I REALLY dont want to shave my hair off...but I'm not finding any relief!

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    You can visit a salon and ask them which conditioner might help you. If it were my hair, I'd go ahead and cut it short. Give the scalp a chance to breathe and recover.

Good luck!
  • tazroni
    tazroni Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would consider getting all the dried ends cut off for starters. Once its dead its hard to revive dead hair. To soften it up I used cholestrol you can buy it at Sally beauty stores in Canada and the USA. I coat my hair in it, early evening and let it somewhat dry to my head and sleep that way. It drives me crazy however I try and do it around every 3 months. Get up and shower it out. I love the way it makes my hair feel.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Cut some of it off, and keep getting trims until the damaged part grows out.

Stop heat styling.

Rich conditioners.

No more dyes.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I use Humectress conditioner by Nexus. It's really amazing. Work it into the ends and leave it in. Your hair can't be repaired, it's not alive, but this stuff will make your hair feel 100X better until the damage grows out.

Personally I also wash my hair at night, and let it dry while I'm sleeping so I don't have to use a blow dryer, which did a lot of damage to my hair. Then you just have to use rollers or an iron the next day to make it lay right.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely agree with everyone who suggests cutting it - at least having as much as you can handle trimmed off without feeling like your style is no longer "you". I'm curious how long your hair is currently. Because if it's super long, let's say past bra strap length, even going to shoulder length or a bit past that would probably make a massive difference for you in how healthy it feels overall. If it's already shorter then you may be able to go pixie short and not even mind. I also have always dyed my hair shades of red and brunette, and the one time I really bleached it out I loved it for a short time and then it felt like straw. I cut it pixie short and went dark brown again and by the time it grew, it felt soft & healthy again.

I think your hair will probably seem to grow much faster and feel a lot better than you expect, as long as you stop bleaching it and heat style as little as possible. A point will probably come, even if you're attached to your long hair, that you will see the difference in "quality" and really want to hack off a lot of it.
  • guacassassin
    Options
    This is how long it is now

https://imgur.com/a/0WNcrRU

I know deep down the only way to get it back is to cut it as short as possible and have it grow back healthy....its just that I have severe body image issues and I feel extremely insecure with shorter hair. I dont know how long it takes to grow either....I mean I know it will pay off in the long run but it would really be hard.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

I know deep down the only way to get it back is to cut it as short as possible and have it grow back healthy....its just that I have severe body image issues and I feel extremely insecure with shorter hair. I dont know how long it takes to grow either....I mean I know it will pay off in the long run but it would really be hard.

Well, in that photo, you're so lovely and your hair does not look like it's in terrible condition to me. I was picturing platinum ends and fried!

It looks like you could have a trim, maybe lose a tiny bit like an inch or just slightly more, and it would look and feel nicer. I understand about your preference for length. A LOT of my girlfriends are very much that way and do not feel attractive unless their hair is long, the longer the better.

Now seeing the way your hair looks I think after a slight trim I'd just try some of the deep conditioning tips others have suggested. I get it that your hair isn't feeling as healthy and soft as you like but it definitely looks like you can work with it and don't need to start totally from scratch!

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    You won’t “unfry” it but you don’t have to cut it either. A trim will definitely help both the appearance and to prevent further breakage though. Otherwise, faithfully do the following:

1. Take Biotin! It promotes hair growth

2. Wash your hair as INfrequently as humanly possible and as follows:
    a) wash with a super gentle cleanser, no sulfates or silicones or whatever
    b) use aphogee keratin repair immediately after shampoo, leave on for at least 5 minutes then rinse (it reeks but its effective)
    c) condition, leave it on at least three minutes
    d) rinse hair, comb out with a wide tooth comb gently while still in the shower
    e) after showering, squeeze water from hair very gently using a towel and do not ruffle the towel around
    f) apply Nexxus Pro-Mend (less than $20)
    g) avoid heat styling whenever possible, but if you must, apply a heat protectant first and try not to exceed 350 degrees

3. Get a silk pillowcase. Lots of damage happens while you toss around in your sleep

4. If it’s long enough, try to frequently wear it in a protective style that avoids tangling, like a loose braid

5. Get regular trims to keep the breakage at bay

6. Get nylon hair bands with no seams if you wear your hair up

If you do these things and use the two hair products I recommended, you will see definite improvement. It won’t be perfect but it’ll help a ton.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    You won’t “unfry” it but you don’t have to cut it either. A trim will definitely help both the appearance and to prevent further breakage though. Otherwise, faithfully do the following:

b) use aphogee keratin repair immediately after shampoo, leave on for at least 5 minutes then rinse (it reeks but its effective)
    e) after showering, squeeze water from hair very gently using a towel and do not ruffle the towel around
    g) avoid heat styling whenever possible, but if you must, apply a heat protectant first and try not to exceed 350 degrees

3. Get a silk pillowcase. Lots of damage happens while you toss around in your sleep

4. If it’s long enough, try to frequently wear it in a protective style that avoids tangling, like a loose braid

If you do these things and use the two hair products I recommended, you will see definite improvement. It won’t be perfect but it’ll help a ton.

bb45efec6d79f148763ecdbfe6f87c26--blonde-curly-hairstyles-black-hairstyles.jpg

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    caco_ethes wrote: »

bb45efec6d79f148763ecdbfe6f87c26--blonde-curly-hairstyles-black-hairstyles.jpg

Naughty 😁
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Regarding product recommendations, I love Davines products because they are sulfate free. I use their green one which is moisturizing and their hair oil. Matrix Biolage deep conditioning balm is also good.

• lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I went platinum blonde once and that really dries me out...I did a weekly deep condition that I left in for two hours from Lush—it kinda helped...but in the end I needed to chop it and let it grow out again—that took a few years :/
  • 19TANYA90
    19TANYA90 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to bleach my hair platinum blonde its ended up where is had to stop dyeing my hair I cut it short I was actually crying in the salon I was that upset about getting a bob I left it a whole year with out colouring and using any heat on trimming every month taking hair and nail tablets I found that the supermarket ones actually worked best use Moroccan oil really helps hydrate ur hair I still now haven’t used any heat on it in 3 years I do dye it bright red but no heat and still use the Moroccan oil it makes my curls look fab so don’t need to straighten now and it’s loads better now but a lot more hard work as need to keep up the regular trims take the tablets and still use lots of Moroccan oil to keep it healthy
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    19TANYA90 wrote: »
    I used to bleach my hair platinum blonde its ended up where is had to stop dyeing my hair I cut it short I was actually crying in the salon I was that upset about getting a bob I left it a whole year with out colouring and using any heat on trimming every month taking hair and nail tablets I found that the supermarket ones actually worked best use Moroccan oil really helps hydrate ur hair I still now haven’t used any heat on it in 3 years I do dye it bright red but no heat and still use the Moroccan oil it makes my curls look fab so don’t need to straighten now and it’s loads better now but a lot more hard work as need to keep up the regular trims take the tablets and still use lots of Moroccan oil to keep it healthy

A prenatal vitamin will help grow healthy hair and nails a bit quicker too!
  • 19TANYA90
    19TANYA90 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I never thought about that but now you have said it when I was pregnant last year I had to stop the hair and nail and take pregnancy vitamins and my hair didn’t suffer from it was still nice and healthy and kept growing at the same rate as before I was pregnant
  • guacassassin
    Options

Well, in that photo, you're so lovely and your hair does not look like it's in terrible condition to me. I was picturing platinum ends and fried!

It looks like you could have a trim, maybe lose a tiny bit like an inch or just slightly more, and it would look and feel nicer. I understand about your preference for length. A LOT of my girlfriends are very much that way and do not feel attractive unless their hair is long, the longer the better.

Now seeing the way your hair looks I think after a slight trim I'd just try some of the deep conditioning tips others have suggested. I get it that your hair isn't feeling as healthy and soft as you like but it definitely looks like you can work with it and don't need to start totally from scratch!

While I thank you for the comment, my hair usually doesnt look like this. I had just straightened it, which I dont really do anymore (for obvious reasons)...usually my hair is a curly frizzy ratty mess. It's also hard to tell how damaged and fried it is in this photo...I was just showing the current length.

Follow up question- without doing anything drastic (like chopping it all off), if I just let it grow and keep trimming it will the damaged hair eventually grow out? Do you know how long that would take?
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I use Marc Anthony's argan oil shampoo and conditioner. After a shower I towel dry my hair and use a small amount of OGX argan oil that I spread from roots to ends and let it,dry. If I straighten my hair, I use a tiny amount of the argan oil just smoothed over it to tame any frizz and make the damaged ends lay flat.

I used to be that girl who had great hair just using whatever shampoo was on sale and that's it. Then I had a kid. Then I got on mood stabilizers and my hair and skin went to *kitten*. This is the only way my hair looks soft and shiny, and its affordable.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Biotin works for some people, but it gives me really bad acne, so just a heads up - sounds crazy but its actually one of the common side affects.

I agree with everyone saying cut it, and then be nice to it while continuing to trim. I have naturally black hair, and wanted to transition to a black to charcoal ombre in January 2018. It turned out horribly, I never got there, and was left with fried almost blonde hair.

Some products have helped me along the way, but ultimately I needed to keep trimming the damaged hair and let healthy hair grow back.

While doing that I have used:

- No heat, except an occasional (like, once every 2 months) blow dry and straighten. When I do that, I use a heat protectant spray.
    - Sexy hair shampoo and conditioner, it's sulfate free
    - rinsing hair in cool water
    - wet shampoo massager - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CWQ5CZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
    - some type of moisturizing hair mask about once a month
    - braids when i need to tie my hair back
    - healthy diet with plenty of fats incorporated
    - silk pillowcase
    - wet brush and detangler ( I use the Garnier one with aloe, its also made for people who air dry their hair)
    - I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week, and use dry shampoo otherwise
    - see my hair stylist every few months for a trim

The formula to get your hair healthy again will be different for each person, but mine has made a full recovery in a year and half. Good luck!