What do you guys do to stay motivated?

Options
What do you guys do to stay motivated and not lose that goal of maintaining healthy?

Replies

• Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately "motivation" is very fleeting, and not something you can reliably maintain - for anyone. What it comes down to for me is forming habits and routines. Once the routine is established, it's much MUCH easier to just keep going. Apparently it takes 66 repetitions for an activity or habit to become routine. Just keep at it (and sometimes it is hard work to do so!) and eventually these healthy habits and choices will just become what you do.
  • warukimedesu
    warukimedesu Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Having a clear goal that I really, really want to attain.

Also, trying to enjoy the process as much as possible. I would last long if I didn't enjoy going to the gym, running, and biking.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I'm with Lemongirl. Motivation is fleeting, but having a consistent routine enables me to just plug away every day to hit my calorie targetj, whether motivated or not.

Learning to just accept hunger as a physical sensation and not something to act on is useful too.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    As above - you need to establish a routine. I have a regular exercise schedule, food prep each Sunday and I close all the rings on my Apple watch each day. I'm not as good as @lgfrie at the hunger pangs though :#
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    You can't 'stay' motivated, you can only 'get' motivated.

'Motivation' is just the desire to change or start to do a thing. Motivation is just wanting it but won't make it happen without a burst of 'Will Power' to put things in motion.

'Will Power' is what makes change start happening or gives you the drive to start doing that thing. But Will Power is a limited resource that only good for getting things moving and eventually it will run out.

For the change to be permanent, or to continue doing that thing requires that the change or thing be right or at least 'worth it'. If the change doesn't feel 'worth it' or the genuine desire to do that thing isn't there then eventually the will power will run out.

for example, two people decide they want to get fitter (Motivation). They both decide they're going to start a program and make themselves (Will Power) start to run.
    A few weeks later:
    Person 1:
    Wow! I love running. I think I might start to increase my distance and start entering some running events. This is great. =)
    Person 2:
    Man! Running sucks. It's so boring and I hate it. I don't think I can make myself keep doing this. I guess I'm just not motivated or I lack will power :s

Both people wanted something (motivation), both people made themselves make the change (will power) but when the will power ran out only the person who no longer needed to rely on it continued. The problem with the other person isn't a lack of 'motivation' as I'll bet they still want to get fitter. And it isn't a lack of will power since they had the will power to begin the change. The problem was the change they made wasn't right for them and you can only force yourself though sheer will power for so long.

So what's the answer? I think you need to keep trying things until you find what's right. Maybe the next week Person 2 joins the local gym, does a Zumba class and LOVES it?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    You either love the process or you don't. If you don't, you need to find something other than motivation to keep you going. It could be any number of things, and will likely be slightly different for everyone. But you have to find it and stay focused on it. Otherwise it's a constant on-again off-again cycle.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Like others said, motivation is pretty fleeting - and often doesn't result in actually accomplishing much of anything.

That being said, my "motivation" comes in when I've made a decision that something is going to happen - regardless of how much effort, work, or how much it sucks to do what I need to do. "Embrace the suck" is the "motivation" for me - in order to accomplish my goal(s), I just need to do the things, and that's all there is to it. It's going to suck, there are a lot of times it won't be fun, or enjoyable or something I even want to do - but I do it anyways.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I log my food diary a few days in advance. That means when I wake up, my meals for the day are already planned out. This keeps me engaged.

I get on the scale every morning. This keeps me motivated.

I eat in a calorie deficit and lose weight. This keeps me disciplined.

You have to find your own way here. Choose a way of eating that will be sustainable.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    Weigh and look at myself naked in a full sized mirror every day.
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Seeing that calorie deficits work over time, I like to see results so I take actions that lead to specific results.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    you get positive emotion as you get closer to goal you clearly stated. If ya just losing weight not cause you set your goal straight you will fail to get motivation. You gotta aim at it, at this goal. Otherwise its not gonna work. And ya gotta make proper sacrifices, ya cant eat cake and get the cake.
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Remind myself of my goals! Health is always number 1! Physique is second in line!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    You either love the process or you don't. If you don't, you need to find something other than motivation to keep you going. It could be any number of things, and will likely be slightly different for everyone. But you have to find it and stay focused on it. Otherwise it's a constant on-again off-again cycle.

While I think loving the process is certainly helpful, I think it is most important to be committed to the outcome. Honestly, I don't love the process of weight training. It's ok.

What I am totally committed to is the outcome and results towards my goal of being lean, functional, strong and cheating the aging process so that I have as many years as possible with my family, especially my grandsons! The training is just the best means to that end.

So, that is my "it". My why. But I agree with others. Thinking in terms of motivation is useless. Thinking in terms of outcomes and goals and committing to them because they are part of your core values is what is most important. As others have said, motivation is fleeting.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,007 Member
    Options
    My Dad ended up with heart disease, cancer and diabetes (which took two of his legs and then his life) My motivation is to not end up like that!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    The comments that mention habit are spot on. I had more calories than I could eat yesterday (did a 10 mile hike) and started out the day not logging, but that felt so wrong (because logging is now an ingrained habit) so I went back and logged everything.