I want to start eating plant based food

Options
Can anyone recommend and good plant based food?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    It takes more work to get sufficient protein from plants, so make higher protein foods like legumes a priority. Have some rice and/or corn with them. Have a salad with this.

You sound like you are just starting to learn about plant-based eating, so I will suggest the resources in the Happy Herbivores group: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods are you switching from?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    There are literally thousands of plant-based foods. If you aren't allergic to or have an intolerance for them, they're all good. Eat the ones you like. Try new ones to see if you like them. Try different ways of preparing ones you don't think you like.

Anything that isn't meat/fish/poultry/insects/eggs/dairy is plant-based. Many vegans would exclude honey as well. Technically fungi (e.g., mushrooms) aren't plants, but most people would include them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    My library system has 515 results for "vegan" cookbooks and 139 results for "plant based" cookbooks so perhaps going to your local library is another good resource.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Starting small and work your way to 100% plant based is the most sustainable way to begin, imo. One of the things that surprised me is that even if you're a good cook already, learning to cook easy, delicious vegetarian food takes a bit of time.

Beginning your journey with breakfast or making your lunch into a veggie-based grain bowl is a pretty easy step. I personally aim for 20+ grams of protein per meal, which will help keep you full and energetic :) I started out with beans, lentils, peas, eggs, nut butters, and cheese as my primary protein sources and tried to include high-protein veggies like broccoli and potatoes whenever I could.

As a beginner vegetarian, I also tried to add a new vegetable each week. Now, I'm pretty settled on what vegetables I like (though I always keep an eye out for new ones!) and make an effort to eat in season and find new ways to prepare those foods. Either of these approaches are worth considering. Looking into casseroles, slow cooker meals, and quick store-bought options are also a good idea!

I'd also recommend getting in the habit of taking a multi-vitamin if you don't already. It's difficult for vegetarians to get enough iron and B vitamins (especially if you're a female) and a multi-vitamin will go a long way to preventing issues you might have in your transition.
  • fowlerjulie3295
    fowlerjulie3295 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m vegan. Be sure to eat lots of greens and beans and take a B12 supplement. If you’re on Instagram there are lots of vegan and plant based accounts to follow 😊
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My library system has 515 results for "vegan" cookbooks and 139 results for "plant based" cookbooks so perhaps going to your local library is another good resource.

Yes! I rented a bunch of vegan books from the library and copied the recipes.