difference in calories burned

Options
between "moving, carrying boxes", and "weight lifting"
"moving" gives me 300+ calories, "weight lifting" gives me 150 calories, same amount of time.

Why?
Do they think we're resting between sets, or constantly moving, when were "moving"?

Just wondering about that....

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Strength training entry assumes extended rests between sets so of the entire duration of the workout a good proportion is just recovery.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options
    Also, in weight lifting, you are not moving those weights very far. "Moving, carrying boxes" is a sustained effort that generally involves more "work" (in the scientific sense).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Think of "Moving, carrying boxes" as a whole lot of walking, but at a substantially higher that usual effective body weight. Only the picking up of the boxes, and the putting them down at the end, is similar to weight lifting.

Coincidentally enough, I spent around 3 hours today doing "Moving, carrying boxes" (well, sometimes furniture, not boxes). In the past, I've spent time weight training. They're not very similar at all.

I suspect the "moving, carrying boxes" entry in the database is less reliable as a calorie estimator than the "strength training" one is. Strength training in standard reps/sets is pretty structured in terms of rest intervals. "Moving, carrying boxes" - if I were to judge from the behavior of the half-dozen other people with whom I was doing it today - varies greatly in how much of the elapsed time is work, and how much is rest periods. ;)

ETA: I didn't use the database to estimate calories for what I did today. I worked hard & steadily, but the MFP number seems improbably high. But I had no intention of counting this activity as exercise anyway - only looked up the database estimate because of this thread.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think they expect you to just log the actual time spent moving things too- if your move took 6 hours, but you only were moving items in the truck for 40 min and it took 25 to unload then 65 would be the time entered?
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Pick up, then put down all the furniture in your lounge room.

Now pick up and move all the furniture in your lounge room out of the house and then move it all back in again

Which one is more tiring =)

Better copyright this Bc I think you just invented the next weightlifting trend.

A long time ago I dated a guy that worked as a mover and man—he was stacked.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    What I did was neither, but I was trying to think which was closer, we were short staffed at work, so I spent some time in the warehouse, carrying and loading bags of grain and shavings.
    When I was fitter and thinner, it wasn't a huge workout, now that I'm fat and so out of shape, it was a workout...
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,827 Member
    Options
    Carrying and loading bags of grain and shavings would be closer to moving furniture... because you're moving the stuff. The part that is expending the extra energy is the distance covered while carrying weight--not because it burns more per 10th of a second of doing it; but because you get to do it for many more seconds