Breastfeeding and weight loss

Options
ygonza1
ygonza1 Posts: 3 Member
edited July 2019 in Motivation and Support
I asked my husband that he needed to tell me when i let myself go or starting to and he did yesterday :( so i am almost 180 i am 9 months post partum and was trying not to stress but the cravings have caught up to me! They are worse than when pregnant! So i want inspirational stories from breastfeeding moms who lost weight and tips on how you did it and continued to breastfeed successfully i have lost weight before but cutting calories but with breastfeeding i think i cant do that

Replies

• annengineer
    annengineer Posts: 16 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I started gaining back at some point around where you are now- I got used to the calories I was eating with an EBF infant, and as he started eating more solids and my supply tapered down to match DS my appetite didn’t.

One thing that helped me was being really aware of my water intake. If I made it a priority to drink a gallon of water I naturally ate a bit less and didn’t drink as many caloric beverages- also it’s important when nursing which I still was doing some of. Oatmeal is good for supply as well and keeps me full and not snacking- DS and I will both have it which is handy (I mix some peanut butter in for added protein and flavor- my kid LOVES peanut butter, and it makes it OK without sugar, though I will add a small amount of honey if needed- just be aware honey is a no-no for babies until they’re 1 if you’re sharing).

Full disclosure I didn’t lose all of what I wanted too- I did well for the two months I was tracking here (lost about a pound a week) but we were TTC and I am now pregnant with #2 so not losing weight at this point, but have been maintaining well which is my goal (and OK with my doc) for the first trimester.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Sleep disruption is terrible for causing cravings. And new mums are usually a bit sleep deprived. When you're tired and run down, you're probably going to crave higher energy foods. Make sure you're looking after yourself! Good food, plenty of fruit and vegetables, obviously. But also asking for help, getting rest when you need it.

Do you have the baby blues? Depression, even mild depression, can give you food cravings. Being a new mum, with your hormones having been on a rollercoaster during the last two years, it's worth sitting back and doing a little welfare check on your brain.

I lost weight while breastfeeding, and I think a lot of it was due to all the walking around I did, pushing a buggy. I wasn't driving at the time, and my ex worked offshore for weeks on end, do I did a LOT of walking!
  • ygonza1
    ygonza1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had some anxiety prenatal and it stayed with me until recently. But its getting better u am gonna make it a goal ti drink a cup of water before i eat and not eat after 7 thanks ladies!
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sleep disruption is terrible for causing cravings. And new mums are usually a bit sleep deprived. When you're tired and run down, you're probably going to crave higher energy foods. Make sure you're looking after yourself! Good food, plenty of fruit and vegetables, obviously. But also asking for help, getting rest when you need it.

Do you have the baby blues? Depression, even mild depression, can give you food cravings. Being a new mum, with your hormones having been on a rollercoaster during the last two years, it's worth sitting back and doing a little welfare check on your brain.

I lost weight while breastfeeding, and I think a lot of it was due to all the walking around I did, pushing a buggy. I wasn't driving at the time, and my ex worked offshore for weeks on end, do I did a LOT of walking!

I'm 7 weeks pp and that sleep deprivation is hitting hard! I gained about 37 lbs and I've got about ten more to lose. I've been drinking soda regularly 😑 which I don't usually do but getting more than 3-4 hours of sleep consecutively would be nice! Hoping it gets cooler here to be able to walk outside!