Hugging the can!

Options
I just started the keto diet on 7/21. I really wanted to focus on my diet for the first week. With that said, I laid off on working out. For the most part, this diet fits in my life extremely well. I just had to give up pasta, bread, & potatoes. It helps that I love to cook as well. I had no want to cheat and I've lost 7lbs; acknowledging that most of it is water weight. So... I went to my normal weekend Orange Theory class yesterday... Hello! I about died! Not literally, but OMG! I had ZERO energy! I struggled with every single circuit and came close to hugging the trash can, more than once. I've never done that! I was so upset with myself as I had to stop several times to try and catch my breathe. It seemed like I just could not get my heart rate down. Not to mention, I usually do not get sore from this workout until after a good 24 hours later. Yesterday, I was sore within 6 hours of my work out. Holy Moly! Please tell me this is normal i!!?!?!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound healthy. This is a big part of why I went do keto.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Keto flu?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound healthy. This is a big part of why I went do keto.

Went “to” or “won’t” do?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    bwatts1319 wrote: »
    I just started the keto diet on 7/21. I really wanted to focus on my diet for the first week. With that said, I laid off on working out. For the most part, this diet fits in my life extremely well. I just had to give up pasta, bread, & potatoes. It helps that I love to cook as well. I had no want to cheat and I've lost 7lbs; acknowledging that most of it is water weight. So... I went to my normal weekend Orange Theory class yesterday... Hello! I about died! Not literally, but OMG! I had ZERO energy! I struggled with every single circuit and came close to hugging the trash can, more than once. I've never done that! I was so upset with myself as I had to stop several times to try and catch my breathe. It seemed like I just could not get my heart rate down. Not to mention, I usually do not get sore from this workout until after a good 24 hours later. Yesterday, I was sore within 6 hours of my work out. Holy Moly! Please tell me this is normal i!!?!?!

You lost 7 lbs in a week? Likely not eating enough and not eating energizing foods since you’ve prob eliminated carbs.
  • bwatts1319
    bwatts1319 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, 7lbs in the first week, but I am fairly certain it is nothing but water weight that I've lost. I've kept track and I have achieved all of my daily nutritional goals; 1260 daily calories (75% fat, 25% fiber & 5% carbs) I actually went over on my fiber twice.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Eating VLC is a diuretic. You need to also take electrolytes and drink plenty of water. Read any good book about it and do it with care. It doesn't mean you should eat cheese on bacon for every meal.

Also, I have found that you will need to eat some carbs if you do cardio. My suggestion is to eat about half your exercise calories as carbs. (In theory, you should be able to eat 100% of your exercise calories as carbs and still induce ketogenesis because all those carbs would be consumed exactly by your exercise.)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Your body uses carbs for energy during a workout. Since it didn’t have any, you felt awful. I am told this eventually passes (never done keto myself) but the first few weeks of kero can be really tough.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    bwatts1319 wrote: »
    Yes, 7lbs in the first week, but I am fairly certain it is nothing but water weight that I've lost. I've kept track and I have achieved all of my daily nutritional goals; 1260 daily calories (75% fat, 25% fiber & 5% carbs) I actually went over on my fiber twice.

What about protein?

Many people adapt to reduced carbs, but it takes time, maybe several weeks.

Some people find that they never do adapt to reduced carbs (can't sustain energy level for intense exercise, especially).

I won't try to talk you out of keto: It's great for people for whom it reduces cravings/appetite, or who have a medical reason to pursue it. It's very highly touted, even trendy, right now, so there are lots of blogs, magazines, IG-ers, etc. boosting it. But it's not perfect for everyone, and it's 100% optional for weight loss (unless, like I said, it makes cravings manageable and compliance possible for an individual in a way that nothing else does).

Only you can decide whether it's best for you personally, or not.
  • bwatts1319
    Options
    I meant protein.... lol not fiber
  • BurningSkies2018
    BurningSkies2018 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I would take a look into something called Keto-adaptation which might explain what you're going through. It may take a little longer to get into the swing of things, but with some time it should start to get easier.

At least, that's what I'm assuming. I could be completely wrong but that's my best guess!
  • bwatts1319
    Options
    Keto Adaptation was the key to my answers! Thank you so much!