Sugar Intake

Options
I have a question for all of the MFP members out there...Everyday my sugar intake is wayyyy over. I eat alot of fruit, whole grains and things of that sort, but my sugar is consistantly over. Should I be concerned about this?

Replies

• Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    As long as you are drinking plenty of water it shouldn't be too bad. If it really worries you then switch to more veggies rather than Fruit.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    After recently being diagnosed with PCOS / slight insulin resistance, I've learned that I really need to watch my fruit intake. Lots of fruits that you wouldn't think are packed with sugar are!! I've essentially cut out most fruits to help me stay under my sugar goal, but find that occasionally eating berries or an apple seem to fit okay into my plan. I'm not sure what else you're eating, but that's just something I found worked for me!
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You should definitely be concerned about that if you're over *a lot* - I'm usually over on sugar when I'm eating more carbohydrates than I probably should (yet am still under MFP's recommended carbohydrate intake.)
  • cmlewis86
    cmlewis86 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. It looks like maybe I should eat less fruit. :(
  • h82bfat
    h82bfat Posts: 77
    Options
    I had concerns about this too. I did a little research and this is what I found: From a caloric perspective, sugar is sugar and empty calories. But concerning nutrition, in August 2009 the American Heart Association released a study in the journal "Circulation" (http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/120/11/1011.abstract?sid=a391bdcb-46d0-47ad-a559-a8264b9ecf44) recommending sugar intake for adult women to be 5 teaspoons (20 grams) of sugar/day, for adult men, it’s 9 teaspoons (36 grams) daily, and for children, it's 3 teaspoons (12 grams) a day.

Rodale later stated: "Naturally occurring sugars in fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy and whole grains don't need to be avoided, and make up part of a healthy diet, says lead author Rachel K. Johnson, PhD, MPH, RD, associate provost and professor of nutrition at the University of Vermont in Burlington. Even the occasional soda isn't a bad thing. "We're not saying that you should eliminate sugar from your diet or that you can't have sugar-sweetened foods," she says. But when you can't stay within the recommended sugar allowances, you need to make up for it with extra exercise. And rather than waste your sugar intake on sodas and other empty calories, she adds, "use it in a way that enhances the flavor and palatability of already nutritional foods like flavored yogurt or flavored milk." (http://www.rodale.com/recommended-sugar-intake)