Heart Failure Support Group

Options
Low sodium diets are hard to follow, but when it comes to life and death it’s time to get serious! I’m here for support and motivation, recipe and seasoning tips, and community.

Replies

• CrystalZ2012
    CrystalZ2012 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am here too. Doesn’t seem like there is much support on this site for this issue.
  • aragalen
    aragalen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm here too! I suspect there are more of us out there that just haven't found this group yet <3
    I was diagnosed with systolic heart failure, left bundle branch block (LBBB), and ventricular enlargement on May 15th 2019. After leaving the hospital I was put on a low sodium diet (2,000 mg) but suggested lower than that. And a bunch of medications! I've learned to read labels and was surprised at how much sodium is in foods, especially bread :( It sure isn't easy keeping the sodium down. Lots of veggies.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I don't use any salt in my diet...it is part of my eating plan..no health issues.
    It is amazing how much faster you lose weight when you ditch the salt. I also don't eat any processed foods which are packed with salt.

All I can say is lemon, limes taste like salt... vinegars add so much flavor in everything..from adding balsamic to tomato sauces and soups..even in meatloaf. I use red wine vinegar as marines...and wine is also a main ingredient in many of my dishes.. I don't miss salt at all. There is also No Salt Added tomato sauces and diced tomatoes at the grocery store.
  • Eleven50PM
    Eleven50PM Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been having strange symptoms lately... Heart palps, swelling of the feet, dry mouth. Scary. No insurance, no Doc. So, I`m giving this a go.
  • aragalen
    Options
    I don't use any salt in my diet...it is part of my eating plan..no health issues.
    It is amazing how much faster you lose weight when you ditch the salt. I also don't eat any processed foods which are packed with salt.

All I can say is lemon, limes taste like salt... vinegars add so much flavor in everything..from adding balsamic to tomato sauces and soups..even in meatloaf. I use red wine vinegar as marines...and wine is also a main ingredient in many of my dishes.. I don't miss salt at all. There is also No Salt Added tomato sauces and diced tomatoes at the grocery store.

Yes, I have been buying low/no salt versions of foods, and staying completely away from processed. I do use lots of garlic and onion powder for flavoring, in addition to using fresh, as well as other herbs and seasonings. Roasted veggies are a favorite, takes more prep time but very much worth it. And I love salads! especially with balsamic vinegar! I've lost 12 pounds so far, and have a cardiologist appointment August 16th to see how I'm doing.
  • aragalen
    Options
    Eleven50PM wrote: »
    I have been having strange symptoms lately... Heart palps, swelling of the feet, dry mouth. Scary. No insurance, no Doc. So, I`m giving this a go.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that you don't have health insurance. Are there any community clinics available? Is Medicaid an option where you are if you are lower income?