So tired, so unmotivated...

Its the same circle ...round and round we go. The eb and flow of weight loss... I am tired of gaining and tired of watching what I eat. So tired and cant get the motivation to get up and do something in the moment. Especially difficult this time around, as I am home alone while my wife is out of town all week long working in another city. We seemed to do at least a little better when we were home together during the week, but just not working now. What can I do to get started and keep going? REally having trouble with getting going and keeping the ball rolling with diet and exercise.

-Totally Discouraged :s

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Maybe it’s just missing your wife?
    Think how good it will make you feel when your wife gets home and you can tell her that you stuck to your plan. Always remember, the end justifies the means. We all have our moments, it’s not easy.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    gdykstra70 wrote: »
    Its the same circle ...round and round we go. The eb and flow of weight loss... I am tired of gaining and tired of watching what I eat. So tired and cant get the motivation to get up and do something in the moment. Especially difficult this time around, as I am home alone while my wife is out of town all week long working in another city. We seemed to do at least a little better when we were home together during the week, but just not working now. What can I do to get started and keep going? REally having trouble with getting going and keeping the ball rolling with diet and exercise.

-Totally Discouraged :s

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum, lots of great info and perspectives there. I think these two in particular may help:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1

Hang in there!
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Start with small changes that you can achieve. If you look at the big picture...it’s overwhelming and daunting. Small changes add up. Hang in there!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Remember why you wanted to start your journey in the first place. Also, I have to think it's much harder for your wife to stick to the plan traveling than it is for you at home. She'll probably need your motivation and dedication when she returns home to help her get back on track. ☺
  • cjingles
    cjingles Posts: 11 Member
    I feel you. I'm struggling with the same motivation. I just joined a couple of the Challenge groups on the Challenges message boards. There's a bunch of different challenges, some short term, some long term, some logging based, some activity based, some goal based. But the groups seem really nice and I honestly feel better for having just joined them. It's given me a focus that I was missing: a place to start. There's one that's just a 10 day challenge: I read it and thought "10 days seems doable, I can do something for 10 days. Let's see how it goes." Maybe try joining that one and see what happens? Maybe in 10 days time you'll be back in the flow and looking for another 10 day challenge. Good luck to you!
  • beckyrpl
    beckyrpl Posts: 73 Member
    It generally takes about 2 months for a behavior to become automatic. I've found that the hardest part is starting. If you're a morning person, put your workout clothes right by your bed - OR sleep in them - so you can wake up and get going. If you're an afternoon/evening person, pack your gym bag the night before - put it in your car - change at your office before you leave. Once you're dressed in your workout gear, I find it's more likely you'll do your workout.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    You have to have a goal.

More importantly, you have to have a plan.

Most importantly, you have to execute the plan.

It's better if the goal can be broken down into smaller sub-goals. For example, if you'd like to lose 50 pounds, a goal of losing 50 pounds is not a good goal. Focusing on the end state is too overwhelming.

A better goal is to lose the first 5 and formulate your plan around that. How will you achieve it? What specific changes are you willing to make? What changes will you make? How are you going to track progress?

Once you've planned the work, it's time to work the plan.

Lather, rinse , repeat... make adjustments as you go, and keep on truckin'.

And always remember - a good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow - just get started.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    I'm so sorry it's been hard! When I'm having trouble I go back to basics: I make it easier to comply then to eat off plan. Remove tempting things from the house and then make it easier to eat on plan, however that works for you. If you cook, you can cook a few batches of food you like and that is also on plan. But if you don't cook, just buy food to fit your plan until she comes home. People can lose weight on prepackaged food too, and the longer term issues about sodium or food quality can be dealt with after she comes back. For now, just make it easy on yourself, however that looks. Good luck to you!!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    wrote:
    I am tired of gaining and tired of watching what I eat.

Try another way- watch what you eat and succeed. Calculate a modest calorie deficit, keep a food diary no matter what and stay in for the long haul.

Eat too many calories and we gain. It’s how our bodies are designed. If you are saying you don’t want to live within some reasonable limits, I doubt anyone here can help you. It’s not written anywhere that you have to lose weight.

But if you’re of a mind to, try this- weigh yourself. Then using MFP calculate the maintenance number for where you are now, and the number to lose .5 lbs per week. Get and use a food scale. Keep a food diary no matter what. Can you live within that range for 1 week. At the end of the week weigh yourself. Did you post a loss?

If not, look at your diary and figure out why. Did you blow up the numbers? How and why? How are you going to fix it? If you posted any kind of a loss you have something to build on.

That voice in your head, that’s probably telling you right now that this is bs will likely tell you the loss is not enough. Or that using a food scale is an unfair burden or that you can’t ever keep a list of what you eat. Tell that voice to shut up. Right now you’re letting that voice jerk you around and this is what you’ve got. Try basic CICO with a food diary. You’ll see. You’ll feel a lot better when you feel like you’re controlling the process.