Macros...wtf

Options
dnasse
dnasse Posts: 4 Member
So, eating for body type, Keto, carb cycling, blah, blah,blah...
I am really at a loss as to where the optimal macro/calorie intake is for some weight loss but mostly healthy eating. I have done a ton of reading and it seems I can find someone spouting equal parts positive and negative on the same topic. What is the optimal macro intake for people.
I find the who thing frustrating and enough to scare the most committed off
Any thoughts?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    weight loss is about calories. eat fewer calories than your body uses over time and you will lose. regardless of what and when you eat.

macros, ways of eating, time of eating, are techniques to help some people keep to the deficit. High protein/low carb works to keep some people fuller thus less hungry. Others find natural "clean" foods helps keep them clean. Others prefer eating windows. Or a combination. What works for one may not work for another.

and oh yes a good balance of macros/food is also good for overall health and nutrition ;) One COULD lose weight eating only twinkies in a calorie deficit but wouldn't feel very good after a few days ;)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    dnasse wrote: »
    I am really at a loss as to where the optimal macro/calorie intake is for some weight loss but mostly healthy eating. I have done a ton of reading and it seems I can find someone spouting equal parts positive and negative on the same topic. What is the optimal macro intake for people.
    Any thoughts?

There is no such thing as an 'optimal' macro intake.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I chose at the beginning to eat the foods I love. I didn't know my diet was called pescatarian until someone here told me. It doesn't matter what it's called as long as it works for you and you don't feel deprived.

I stay in a calorie deficit and lose weight. I don't pay much attention to the macros. I fill out my food diary a few days in advance. It really keeps me motivated and on track. So does weighing myself daily and my foods every meal.

This journey doesn't have to be hard.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Calories determine weight loss/gain/maintenance.

Macros are for satiety, compliance, and minimums are required for general health and fitness. Different macro distributions will work better for different people and many success stories ignore them entirely.

Many of us used the MFP default goals, viewing protein and fat as minimums and letting carbs fall where they may. I discovered through careful consistent logging that getting more protein and fiber kept me full longer, so I tweaked my protein up a little. For others, it may be something different. But regardless, I only look at my macros as a general guide and don't sweat it if I don't quite hit them or if some days I just ignore them.

:drinker:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    Just use the default macros, they are based on sound nutrition guidelines. Macros aren't that important for weight loss, I just hit my protein goal and make sure I get 500-800g of fruit and vegetables every day. Keeping it simple.

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts?

Macro ratios are individual...there is no singular optimal macro ratio. An endurance athlete for example is going to have a different optimal macro ratio than a bodybuilder or powerlifter.

Macros are important for performance and satiety and a good balance for health and nutrition...they aren't particularly important for weight management. Weight management is about energy (calorie) management.
  • patstrat13
    patstrat13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    dnasse, I've just started keto so I'm no expert, but in my research, a common optimal macro breakdown is 5% carbs, 20-25% protein, and 70-75% fat. Too much protein will cause gluconeogenesis and kick you out of ketosis. I googled keto calculator to find where I should be with my caloric intake. Basically, you use those percentages for macros and then adjust calories as needed to lose or maintain weight. I'm using a 10% deficiency on calories for my body type, I'm at 1950 calories per day. This was determined using a couple of different keto calculators online. I hope I understood your question correctly and this is helpful.
  • kimny72
    edited July 2019
    Options
    patstrat13 wrote: »
    dnasse, I've just started keto so I'm no expert, but in my research, a common optimal macro breakdown is 5% carbs, 20-25% protein, and 70-75% fat. Too much protein will cause gluconeogenesis and kick you out of ketosis. I googled keto calculator to find where I should be with my caloric intake. Basically, you use those percentages for macros and then adjust calories as needed to lose or maintain weight. I'm using a 10% deficiency on calories for my body type, I'm at 1950 calories per day. This was determined using a couple of different keto calculators online. I hope I understood your question correctly and this is helpful.

This may be the optimal breakdown for someone who wants to do keto. But I believe OP only mentioned keto as one of several things that was confusing them. A distribution like that would certainly not be optimal for everyone :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    patstrat13 wrote: »

I don't think he's doing keto, that was just an example he gave along with, "body types, carb cycling," and saying it's confusing to figure out.

"Optimal" for keto is not necessarily optimal for anyone else. Keto is very restrictive and difficult - why make it harder than it has to be?
  • dnasse
    Options
    Yeah. Not looking to do Keto. I’m just saying there’s a bunch of differing opinions based on “scientific fact” each one contradicting the other.
  • dnasse
    Options
    In addition, I have been doing low carb for a bit and running. I am bonking incredibly early in my runs. It makes sense that food is fuel, and the macros provide different dietary benefits, so how does one fuel to maximize both energy and weight loss
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    In addition, I have been doing low carb for a bit and running. I am bonking incredibly early in my runs. It makes sense that food is fuel, and the macros provide different dietary benefits, so how does one fuel to maximize both energy and weight loss

How low carb? Do you have a ballpark percentage?

I found that reducing carbs slightly and increasing protein and fiber slightly keeps me full and energetic.

I'm shooting for 40% carbs, 35% fat, and 25% protein. Nothing scientific about it, just the way I like to eat when losing weight. And I really just work on protein, as fat takes care of itself for me, and then the carbs don't have a choice.
  • dnasse
    Options
    Yeah, I went stupid and was likely in the 10%range. Not nearly enough
  • kimny72
    Options

There is no carb level that maximizes weight loss, outside of how it helps/hurts you sticking to your calorie goal.

I lost weight eating @ 200g of carbs daily, which was around 50%. It didn't make me hungry or have cravings, I find them quite filling. Other people do find carbs tend to not satisfy them or pump up their appetite.

Low carb is generally less than 150g, so why not pick a % that gets you in that 100-150g area and see how it goes? Meanwhile pay attention to your hunger cues and energy, make note of what you've eaten when you get a bump or a drop in either, and tweak as you go if necessary? Assuming you want to pay attention to it at all.