New

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I will say this - the only way for MFP to get to 1520 eating goal is for you to have at least selected a likely honest activity level and good rate of loss.

With your stats BMR is 1262.

Seems you did good and selected Lightly-Active activity level - which for a family is true. Now if work is also on your feet - another level up is probably more correct.

Lightly-Active would get you to 1770 daily burn.

And you appear to have smartly selected 1/2 lb rate of loss for 250 cal deficit. (perhaps, I'm wondering since goal is 10 lbs in 6 weeks)

So good job on those setup options many mess up on.

Another huge thing not addressed yet though.

That 1520 goal is for days your activity level matches whatever you told MFP.
    That's when you do no exercise.

6 x weekly workouts means that would only be the eating goal 1 time a week.
    All the other days would be increased.

Time based weight loss goals is rarely beneficial.

How will anyone really know if you lost 10 lbs by mid-Sep, unless you wear a sign stating what the deal is, or invite people to see you weigh naked in the morning?

Since both is unlikely - why not just make the workouts the best for transforming your body, and you may only lose 5 lbs but appear to have lost 15 - happens to people all the time.
    That type of change also allows fitting into something better - in case that is the goal.

You mentioned Fitbit isn't working to share your workouts - that's actually correct - Fitbit didn't use the option to send workouts.

It sends Total Daily Calories burned to MFP, which subtracts what it estimated you'd do at given selected activity level (appears to be 1770) - and then MFP creates an adjustment which is increased daily activity and or exercise - whatever it is that caused you to burn more.

And then your eating goal is adjusted.

Perhaps that is working and the 1520 is your average eating goal after the adjustment.
    Which means the rate of loss is probably higher than reasonable.

Just some food for thought.

Because you can do this without the artificial help for appetite - eat some fat to get those calories up, that may help.
    But if you don't learn to change eating habits and only medicine helps - you'll join the majority that can't maintain a goal weight after a diet.
  • srdeloy374
    srdeloy374 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I will say this - the only way for MFP to get to 1520 eating goal is for you to have at least selected a likely honest activity level and good rate of loss.

Seems you did good and selected Lightly-Active activity level - which for a family is true. Now if work is also on your feet - another level up is probably more correct.

And you appear to have smartly selected 1/2 lb rate of loss for 250 cal deficit. (perhaps, I'm wondering since goal is 10 lbs in 6 weeks)

How will anyone really know if you lost 10 lbs by mid-Sep, unless you wear a sign stating what the deal is, or invite people to see you weigh naked in the morning?

Since both is unlikely - why not just make the workouts the best for transforming your body, and you may only lose 5 lbs but appear to have lost 15 - happens to people all the time.
    That type of change also allows fitting into something better - in case that is the goal.

You mentioned Fitbit isn't working to share your workouts - that's actually correct - Fitbit didn't use the option to send workouts.

It sends Total Daily Calories burned to MFP, which subtracts what it estimated you'd do at given selected activity level (appears to be 1770) - and then MFP creates an adjustment which is increased daily activity and or exercise - whatever it is that caused you to burn more.

Perhaps that is working and the 1520 is your average eating goal after the adjustment.

Because you can do this without the artificial help for appetite - eat some fat to get those calories up, that may help.
    But if you don't learn to change eating habits and only medicine helps - you'll join the majority that can't maintain a goal weight after a diet.

My BMR is 1315,all though I'm not sure what that means honestly lol. I only know because of the scale I'm using tells me all my stats and tracks it in MFP and Fitbit. I chose the highly active one as I'm on my feet quite a bit. I own/run a Construction company so I stay busy with that as well as family. 1520 is my calories, but I'm also aware that it's the base,so if I burn 1000 calories in a day im supposed to consume either half or all those back on top of my 1520. I'd like to lose my final 10lbs as I've just been platued for the last year. But I also wasnt actively trying to lose the 10lbs till just recently. I'd like to lose it by mid September but I understand it may not happen, may only be a few. Either way I'm actively trying to lose it. I'm mainly struggling with meals but have been looking to pinterest and such for ideas. Thank you for all the info :smile:
  • heybales
    Options
    MFP uses a Mifflin BMR calc which would give you 1262 - your scale is likely using older 1919 study Harris BMR.

So you must have selected activity level Active and 1 lb weekly loss for 500 cal deficit. Only way to hit 1520 with math.

Good activity level, still big deficit for only 10 lbs to lose.

Purposeful exercise indeed supposed to log and eat back.

But I'd skip that since you have a Fitbit - just confirm your MFP app has setting for Step Source set to Fitbit.

Confirm the sync happens with a Fitbit Adjustment listed under Exercise Diary.

And be aware with a high activity level, if Fitbit reports less burn - you'd need Negative Adjustment enabled to correctly eat less when doing less. That's in MFP Food settings.

May be time to confirm you are logging food correctly by weight, perhaps got loose on that.

Also, despite being forced to be active in your work - your body could have slowed down a lot of the involuntary actions that increase our calorie burn daily - you may have burned even more than that prior.
    Eating a tad more can allow your body to increase that again, besides a whoosh effect if it's been stressed out this year.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    srdeloy374 wrote: »
    I've done my research and actually when taken correctly appetite suppressants can be beneficial. There not meant to be taken more than a week or 2 for someone of my stature.
    lg013 wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    Do you mean that you are 10 pounds from a healthy BMI for your height? If so, unless there is some other medical condition you're not mentioning, any doctor who would prescribe you an appetite suppressant is not acting professionally or responsibly.

Post states she is currently 5’2” and currently weighs 133, that’s a healthy BMI of about 24. Losing 10 pounds would put her at a BMI of 22...also healthy.

No 24 is not my BMI its 26. Technically I'm overweight for my height and weight according to standard graphs.

I didn't think I'd get badgered asking questions but I know now. If I knew how to delete this whole thing I would. I was simply asking guidance on consuming the full 1520 calories. I pay more attention to macros though then calories. I use my Fitbit and MFP to track my stuff. My Fitbit tracks all my exercise and doesn't share to MFP correctly so it doesn't show everything correctly in my diary. But anyways thanks everyone have a great day

I’d check your BMI again—if you are 5’2” and 133 pounds the max it should be is 24.5.

I don’t feel like I’m badgering, it feels like I'm saying something you don’t want to hear—so you’re interpreting it as hostile. I don’t quite understand how someone posting for help on how to consume more calories is taking an appetite suppressant. How can you consume more if you’re taking medication to remove your desire to eat.

I will say for calories I add a lot of protein into my diets. If you eat meats—allow yourself slightly larger portions. I also love to add quinoa to salads and veggies to add bulk.

I’m sorry if you feel like I’m being hostile, I just think there might be better ways to cut out foods you’d like to consume less of without the use of medication that can impact your heart. You need that for all of the workouts you’ve been doing!
  • heybales
    Options
    srdeloy374 wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »

My BMR is 1315,all though I'm not sure what that means honestly lol. I only know because of the scale I'm using tells me all my stats and tracks it in MFP and Fitbit. I chose the highly active one as I'm on my feet quite a bit. I own/run a Construction company so I stay busy with that as well as family. 1520 is my calories, but I'm also aware that it's the base,so if I burn 1000 calories in a day im supposed to consume either half or all those back on top of my 1520. I'd like to lose my final 10lbs as I've just been platued for the last year. But I also wasnt actively trying to lose the 10lbs till just recently. I'd like to lose it by mid September but I understand it may not happen, may only be a few. Either way I'm actively trying to lose it. I'm mainly struggling with meals but have been looking to pinterest and such for ideas. Thank you for all the info :smile:

Here's the inspiration how you may not lose the desired "weight" by mid Sep - but you can drop the fat, and make it look like you dropped even more.

First pictures on this page shows transform even at same weight.
    It was much longer than your time span, but you throw in some lbs lost of fat, and muscle size increased, or even just standing taller, and it'll look even better.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p115
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    lg013 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    Raise your hand if you want to google the doctor prescribing appetite suppressants to someone who is possibly already under eating?

Sounds to me that eating some of that "junk food" you're taking drugs so you WON'T eat might do you some good. Or at least eat more calorie dense foods.

You should also open your diary. More help could come your way if we can see it.

I frankly don’t think there is a doctor out there that would do this—especially for someone at a healthy weight. That’s a malpractice suit waiting to happen...and also being a terrible doctor.

I’m guessing her doctor’s advice is the same as ours—not to take suppressants, but just like in this post she isn’t hearing it and considers taking pills healthy.

Check out what happened with Meridia and let me know how you feel about appetite suppressants...

There isn't a reputable doctor who would knowingly do that. That said, there are plenty of non-reputable doctors out there.