Loose skin - how long? What helps?

Options
julesss4u
julesss4u Posts: 10 Member
edited July 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I can feel my abs finally morphing under the fat layers. Been working out and eating under an extremely disciplined regimen for a month. Wondering how long it took you to lose the loose skin flab and/or if there’s anything that helped you speed it up. Thanks!!

Replies

• Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have been in maintenance fr a year and a half. Skin will or will not stretch back It depends on how long it has been stretched and also your genes. Neither of which you can influence.
    The one you can influence is weight training I found it helped but not a 100% cure. I started doing weights fairly early on in my journey. I have loose skin but not much and not that apparent. As I was overweight most of my life, I guess I am also blessed with good skin genes
  • umbramirror
    umbramirror Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    There is nothing that I can really add to the above post except my own experience. I had a lot of excess fat resting in the surface layers of my skin after I reached my goal, even getting to a rather lean weight. It hasn't been long since I've been maintaining (a little over a month) and I'm already seeing a lot of progress from my exercise routine. I do HIIT, calisthenics, and weight lifting, so I'm not sure which listed had the most significant effect but I think they all contributed to the tightening of my skin overall from increased muscle growth. The most effected areas for me are the middle of my abdomen and inner thighs, and they are slowly tightening and strengthening.

I think that much of skin's elasticity has to do with genetics, but there is a factor of how we treat our bodies after and during weight loss. I think that those who strength trained during weight loss will likely have less surface fat storage (also depending on their genes). Additionally, strength training after weight loss is, in my opinion, the best way to combat excess fat storage.
  • noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I can reiterate what these other posters have said. Been in maintenance since March and my loose skin is so much better than it was. Just took a little patience.

No doubt that weight lifting and hydration definitely play a part in making the skin tighten. I also took collagen tablets but from what I have read in scientific journals those tablets are a load of nonsense used to sell things to insecure people, however, my irrational mind felt better and wasn't going to do me any harm!!

I am hoping that like the amazing people above my skin will keep tightening in maintenance and body recomp and in a few years be as good as new.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for a year. My skin looks a lot better now than it did last summer, but I still have visible wrinkling and always will.

If I really care, I can hide those wrinkles under my clothes. I couldn't hide my fatness :)
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 lbs down into my 85 lb goal and so far loose skin hasn't been a factor other than maybe right under my armpits...18 years ago, I was extremely fit and muscular, so I don't know if that is helping me now or not with my skin tightening back up, but weight training is a must!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I lost alot of weight and since I'd had very large babies as well and had a very low hanging flap I had a tummy tuck. Afterwards I was unhappy with my butt and back. I've been in maintenance now for two years and they have firmed up quite a lot. I would say lose the weight then give your body a couple of years to see where you end up. It takes time but the wait is worth it.