Today I ran my first 3k!

Options
It might not sound much but for someone very overweight I ran 3k in 25 minutes! Tomorrow I will run it in 24 minutes. How long does it take you to run 3k?

Replies

• naynerrn
    naynerrn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My average pace is anywhere between 10-12 minutes per mile. A real good program to use to start running is a couch to 5k. Keep up the good work and keep putting one foot in front of the other. And as mentioned above take rest days.
  • pammiehep74
    pammiehep74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    well done x
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Great job! My pace is anywhere from 11 to 14.4 when I run and often I find myself walking to a pace of 18 at some point. Comparing won't do you much good-there are so many variables and like pondee said what matters is you. I also want to echo rest days and even if your feet feel good now, get fitted for some running shoes!

Happy running.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Updating my prior post on this subject, if you are really curious of how you stand time and distance wise, enter a race. Compare your finish to the field at large and in your age/gender grouping. Immediate feedback and the camaraderie and excitement of a race. Win win
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Great job! Like others have suggested, spend time running further over time, slowly. After you do that you can work on decreasing your time. Be proud of yourself!!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Nicely done! As others have said, don't worry too much about pace this early. Work on running longer distances slowly, and you'll find your shorter distances getting faster. I took about 4 minutes off my 5k time between the beginning of April and the end of May mostly by working longer runs at a comfortable pace (although losing a chunk of weight didn't hurt either). Keep it up!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress! I would really recommend taking today to rest, and then running again tomorrow. Back-to-back running days are a lot for a new runner, and that's especially true if your last workout was near your fastest possible pace. It takes time to build up to running on consecutive days. Without adequate recovery time, your risk of injury goes up.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Great job! Note if you are new to running you likely need to have rest days in between runs. I just started running in February and have learned the hard way about rest days and injury prevention

Agreed, if you're new to running try not to run on consecutive days.

Running speed is a very individual thing and, as the saying goes, comparison is the thief of joy. Enjoy your accomplishment, there are lots of people simply incapable of running 3km / 2 miles (I would suggest the majority of adult can't even run a slow mile without stopping), in fact when I started I could barely get around the block without feeling like i was going to die.

Keep it up, running can add so much to your life in terms of health and well being and, for me at least, it's my quiet time, almost meditative.

Have fun!