Effect of not eating enough?

Options
I have noticed from my plan that a few days out of the week I undershoot my calorie goal by 600-700 calories. Other days I may go over. Does it even out over a week. I have been limiting myself to 1700-1800 calories a day and losing about 3 lbs per week. Mostly fat according to my measurement scale.

Replies

• staretha
    staretha Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, it evens out over the week. Eating under 1200 calories a day is not good for you, so make sure you get at least that. Less than that will put you in starvation mode (meaning your body thinks you are starving it) and your body will begin storing fat, so you won't lose weight.
  • charlottebronte
    Options
    You should try to get close to your calorie limit each day. However, unless you are really under-consuming, my theory is do what works for you until it doesn't work any more--then change it up! Congrats on your loss; that is terrific!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I actually gained weight when I wasn't eating enough. The amount of caloric deficit your body can handle depends on your body makeup. If you have a lot to lose and not much muscle mass, a large deficit is ok. However, if you are very active with normal - athletic body fat percentage, failing to eat enough to refuel the body will cause the metabolism to slow.

I do believe it is best to reconcile your calories within 24 hours. If you work out hard on Monday (say burn 1000 calories), but only eat 1600, you've just left your body with only 600 net cals to keep you alive (I need 1700 net!). Your body doesn't know that you might be planning on a big pizza and beer party on Saturday night, it just knows you demanded more than it could deliver on Monday.

The closer you get to goal the more you will need to eat. Keep in mind also that leaving a consistently large deficit will train your metabolism to slow down, make you more tired, and then when you do have a "normal" or big eating day, likely result in a relatively large weight gain. It also may leave you more likely to binge after a while, and give up out of frustration.

Eating all your calories just makes good sense because you can lose that way, stay energetic, keep your metabolism fired up, be less likely to plateau/binge/quit, and when you do have the occasional big eating day, you won't have a big gain.

blessings.
  • JeanWalker109
    Options
    Absolutely. Math is math & the calculations don't change. 3500 calories is equal to one pound. Regardless of when you negate those calories, you still lose the weight if you reduce your calories by that much in a week. What can change the scale numbers are other factors like sodium/water retention, etc. BUT the general equation is the same.

BTW - 3 pounds/week is awesome. Way to go!

*high five*

Jean
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Absolutely. Math is math & the calculations don't change. 3500 calories is equal to one pound. Regardless of when you negate those calories, you still lose the weight if you reduce your calories by that much in a week. What can change the scale numbers are other factors like sodium/water retention, etc. BUT the general equation is the same.

BTW - 3 pounds/week is awesome. Way to go!

*high five*

Jean

This is best applied for people who don't work out, or for small deficits. Math is math as a straight answer doesn't work so well if you place high demands on your body. For example I rode 4 hours today in 99 degree heat, up some very steep hills. I burned about 1500 cals. If I chose to eat only 1200 cals today and make up the rest on Tuesday, I most likely would have bonked and been hospitalized today.

blessings.
  • wwilli42
    wwilli42 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Have any of you seen the professor who did the twinkie diet and posted his findings? Incredible...
  • wwilli42
    Options
    Thanks! Seems like your plan is paying off. Keep it up!
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    I haven't seen that, but twinkies have partially hydrogenated oil and high fructose corn syrup and other terrifying chemicals in them.
  • wwilli42
    Options
    Not saying I'm looking into trying it was just amazing he lost so much weight on a crap diet.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Have any of you seen the professor who did the twinkie diet and posted his findings? Incredible...

oh I just looked at that. gross. Doritos are a "food-like substance". ha ha! well if pure weight loss is all you're looking for, then yes, math is math. Betcha won't look very good in a bikini though :)