Is this a below-average loss?

Options
I have been back on MFP faithfully since July 14. I have counted calories, logged my food, exercised everyday. I have only lost 4lbs in those 6 or so weeks. Those 4lbs came off in the first two weeks...and since then, nothing. Is this a below-average loss? It seems that most people on here are losing at a faster rate than that. I am type 1 diabetic, so could the whole insulin issue be stunting my progress? That's the only thing I can think of. If that's it.....then What Can I Do About THAT? *sigh*

Replies

• MelanieOnTheRun
    Options
    have you lost inches???
  • khoolette
    Options
    I haven't measured, but I don't think I have. Clothes all fit the same.
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    on average how many calories are you consuming a day?
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I cannot see your diary so its hard to comment.....
  • khoolette
    Options
    between 1300-1400 cals a day...
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    There are ladies who lose 80 lbs in 6 months, and then there are ladies who lose 20 lbs in 6 months.

I'm the one losing less. I often feel like I am failing or doing something wrong, and you know, I am probably doing a few things wrong. But I'm not about to nitpick and I'd rather spend time studying than cooking right now so I can't really prepare like I want to.

I want to mention 2 things:

1) Another girl who is losing at a slow rate like me that I am friends with here has type 1. I think it might have a little to do with it. She is still losing though, and you can too. Let it piss you off only if you go exercise away the angryness afterwards ;)

2) You are losing weight and becoming healthier, yay!!! so continue through your frustrations, it might take you longer but you will still succeed :)

ps. just a little below average, but very common, and very healthy :)
  • khoolette
    Options
    I cannot see your diary so its hard to comment.....
  • khoolette
    Options
    Ok, I opened my diary for all to see :0/
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't know a lot about type 1 diabetes, so please take my suggestion as non-expert in your case.

Looking at your diary, I would try to reduce carbs and see if that helps. At least for most people, if you try to increase your protein and fiber while reducing your non-fiber carbs, will stimulate weight loss. The problem for me here, is I'm not sure what your requirements might be for type 1 diabetes.
  • ecamelon
    ecamelon Posts: 12
    Options
    I would stop drinking the pop everyday.It's full of sugar and empty calories. It can also make you retain water. When I stopped drinking 2 cans of diet pepsi per day I lost 5 pounds withing a week
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Less processed carbs and less sugar -- in fact get the sugar out of your diet as much as possible -- your body will just metabolize it as fat (my opinion based on my own research and experience). Get a LOT more fresh green veggies. Only drink water and lots of it.
  • Robert824
    Options
    I just checked out your diary, you need to add more veggies and fruits, stay away from pizza hut loads of carbs and fats. For breakfast try eating more protein to start your day, such as oatmeal with blueberrys, or a scrambled egg, also try eating more chicken and turkey and drink lots of water, also try adding some nuts such as almonds or walnuts, I hope this helps and good luck! BTW my Dad is type 1 diabetic and he dropped his weight from 260 to maintaining 175lbs by portion control and he is extremely active so please don't be discouraged you can do this! Please feel free to friend me for support.
  • vispa2002
    Options
    How hard do you exercise? I did run every day for 2-3 miles and after I lost 20 lbs in 5 month, couldn’t loose anymore weight.
    Recently I got Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD. Really awesome workout – only 20 minutes long. After doing it 10 days on the row, I lost 2 lbs, which is big for me. So, maybe you need a bit more challenging exercise?
    I don’t drink anything other than water, tea and coffee. Try substituting soda with a freshly brewed tea. There are many selections from Bigelow brand.
  • khoolette
    Options
    Yea, when you see that I have had a regular pop, that is when I have experienced low bloodsugar and needed something fast. I do know that an apple would do the trick but it doesn't work as fast and when I experience a low bloodsugar, I get a "panicky, gotta get it up NOW" feeling. As for the diet pop, I also know that is bad for anyone...and have tried to stop drinking it altogether before. Will try it again...I just hate to have to ONLY drink water. Not making excuses here...just having a hard time cutting out EVERYTHING. I have such a sweet tooth!
  • khoolette
    Options
    How hard do you exercise? I did run every day for 2-3 miles and after I lost 20 lbs in 5 month, couldn’t loose anymore weight.
    Recently I got Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD. Really awesome workout – only 20 minutes long. After doing it 10 days on the row, I lost 2 lbs, which is big for me. So, maybe you need a bit more challenging exercise?
    I don’t drink anything other than water, tea and coffee. Try substituting soda with a freshly brewed tea. There are many selections from Bigelow brand.

I am in week one of doing the couch to 5k program. I do that every other day and get my heartrate up alot on those days. On the other days I do bike-riding (about 50 minutes). I just bought a punching bag and will start boxing type workouts....
  • Robert824
    Options
    I know it is hard to cut things out of your diet, also instead of drinking a soda, try keeping some crystal light that mixes with water, it is only 5 calories and extremely good, also my dad carries peppermint candy with him and that will also work quickly for you. Please don't give up, I know it is hard to be diabetic, my dad has been a diabetic for over 20 years and he is the most remarkable person I know, but I also remember how hard it was to change up his diet when he first became diabetic, think of this as a lifestyle change versus a diet that is restricting.