Standing Desks, what do you think about them?

Options
Just recently my doctor prescribed a standing desk at work for my back problems. So far I've been reading up and seeing all the benefits of standing instead of sitting during the work day, it even burns calories! Have you tried a standing desk and what did you think of it? Did you like it or did you dislike it?

Replies

• Kelleygirl79
    Kelleygirl79 Posts: 71 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I worked as a software trainer for many years, working from home when I wasn't on the road. I easily spent 10 hours a day in my chair and on the phone. When I finally invested in a standup (Varidesk48) after several years of neckpain, it CHANGED MY LIFE! I felt 100% better. I was clearer in my thinking, stronger in my training and (I was told) I sounded so much happier. It even opened up my lungs so I could breathe deeper. My back quit hurting, my butt wasn't numb and I was far more relaxed even when I was away from my desk. I think it was from not being all hunched-up. I also purchased a heavy-duty mat to stand on and that was important, too. It's easy to adjust the Varidesk from standing to sitting so switching was effortless. I can't say enough positive about standing vs sitting!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of studies at this point showing that it's good for one's health to avoid sitting for extended periods if possible. However, standing does not burn many more calories than sitting. This study found that a 70 kg (154 lb) person will burn 54 more calories per day if they stand for 6 hours vs. sitting for that time: https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/abs/10.1161/circ.136.suppl_1.20539 Your calorie burn would vary depending on your weight, time spent standing, etc., but regardless, you should expect it to be minimal. 54 calories is within almost everyone's margin of logging error.
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I love my standing desk. It makes work bearable & I think all desks should have the option.

I got mine for back pain too and as I’m a most-of-the-time wheelchair user I have an electric one that raises and lowers. Some have a handle to turn but try and get an electric one if you have a choice. If it turns out it isn’t good for your back you can still use it sitting down.

See if you can have a chair assessment as well, that might help too.

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I have one. I tend to use it more when my back is being stupid than when it's not. Like right now i'm sitting down. I like it, it's very helpful when I actually DO have back niggles going on.
  • SchmancyName
    SchmancyName Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted one. But for one reason or another just never pull the trigger on getting one. I did however buy a balance ball to replace my chair on the recommendation of a co-worker. And I dislike that very much.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I study full time and don't actually have a standup desk My husband, however, built a stand to put my laptop on to give me the option of standing rather than sitting when I want. In the year or so since he has made this I haven't used my chair at all. I find that my concentration is much better when I am standing. This alone is worth it but when you add better posture with less neck and back problems and no more numb bum, it really is a win.
  • aziz_n1
    aziz_n1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Some people are using them at the office, supplied by the company. Also some people have special chairs. All available through Occupational Health Department within the company. The company I work for place a lot of emphasis on Health & Safety and are very supportive. Also, very important to carry out a Workstation Assesment i.e. how have you got your desk laid out, seating position etc.
    Hope you can get assistance with your problem.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    I really want one, keep bugging my bosses for one!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many more calories a day we would burn standing at desks.... I would like one but I work for a small firm and don't think its an option :/
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I’m retired now, but the company that I worked for had them. You could raise and lower them to suit your needs. I liked it, the only thing that I suggest is a good mat to stand on.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I wonder how many more calories a day we would burn standing at desks.... I would like one but I work for a small firm and don't think its an option :/

You can make a makeshift one with an Ikea Lack table, I've considered it a few times, just can't be arsed to drive all the way up to Dublin to get one.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ikea-standing-desk-hack_n_7033432
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    If you have the resources to get one, get it. I often raise my desk from sitting position to standing after lunch to prevent the afternoon slump. Also, I can easily put on my headphones and have a little dance moment while I work.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @tinerkebellang83 the link didn't work for me but I'll google it on the ikea site.

Afternoon slump is a real issue for me @hipari - if I thought a standing desk would sort that it really would be worth looking into one.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    @tinerkebellang83 the link didn't work for me but I'll google it on the ikea site.

Afternoon slump is a real issue for me @hipari - if I thought a standing desk would sort that it really would be worth looking into one.

Similar one here, the Ikea website won't be any use to you as it's not how the item is usually used lol

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/127086020713635926/
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Thanks @tinkerbellang83 that gives me a good general idea.
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It really is a nice option, if it's an investment you can afford to make (or even better, get your employer to purchase). When I have my "desk days" (days with basically no meetings), I find I feel much better if I alternate sitting and standing about every 45mins-1hr. I do recommend one of the floor mats for when you stand - when I haven't been standing much, I can really feel it in my lower legs and feet, and that mat does help.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I suppose I'm fortunate I've had one for years and got one for my home office because I actually have problems sitting these days.

Keep in mind, the extra calorie burn for standing is low, it just adds up when you get to the point of doing it nearly all day. I think the calories are something like 1 extra calorie a minute versus sitting, but then you take that over standing for 6 hours of an 8 hour work day, and you're looking at 360 calories, which over a long term trend is probably about the difference of 36 pounds.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i love my standing desk and even if your workplace won't purchase (although i fall into the never hurts to ask them mentality) - you can get a semi-decent one from online office supply stores for $75-100ish
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    If we ever get around to redoing our home office I'm going to get rid of the desks and install counters at standing height and use bar office chairs. I had that sort of setup at one of my branches and loved it. When there's work/work to be done standing felt better and more productive to me -- you just pushed the chair out of the way.

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Whenever you talk about the whether a particular device is “beneficial”, you have to define your terms. In this case, the “benefits” fall under what I think are 3 categories: fitness/weight loss, orthopedic, psychological/behavioral.

Fitness/weight loss: long-term benefits have been shown to be trivial at best.

Orthopedic: might be beneficial for some people

Psychological: perceived benefits are mostly defined by the user.

My only recommendation would be not to buy a standing desk solely on #1. I would not automatically assume that there are any health benefits to using a standing desk.

If it’s something you want and enjoy, #2 and #3 are enough to justify the purchase.