New to exercise, need advice!

Options
Hi everyone, I have just started exercising and last week i did either the C25K running or a strength class at my local gym. I am SOOOOO sore today. My arms are feeling better but my legs are super sore. i went to a yoga class this morning, to help stretch my soreness, but i am due to run in week 2 of c25k tonight. My question is should i just push through the soreness and run? or just wait till the soreness goes away? Thanks

Replies

• mrpearson253
    mrpearson253 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As long as it isn't lingering or sharp pain I'd push through it. Some of it is your body's muscles not being used to what you're doing with them. If it's more than a nagging pain go easy with it, otherwise the big key is to stretch before and after. I'm as guilty as the next guy of not doing that but it really helps in the long run. I know C25K has built in warm up and cool down's, you could include a few simple stretches with them and be less sore after. :)

Mark
  • routerguy666
    Options
    Push through it. The only other alternative is to do nothing until the soreness is completely gone, and then begin again at a greatly reduced intensity and gradually build up to avoid the doms.
  • memyselfv
    Options
    push it, you 'll get use to it
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    if it is soreless...push through.....if it hurts like an injury don't do it......

if it is soreless it should go away was you start to workout....
  • 06MustangGT
    Options
    If you're really sore I would take a day or two off to recover and give your body time to heal and repair otherwise you could make things harder for yourself. If you're doing a strength training class you definitely want time off because every time you workout your muscles tear and need time to repair. If you don't rest you aren't letting them repair and could only make things worse. There's nothing wrong with a little rest. Maybe even take a protein shake after your classes to refuel and help with soreness.
  • kelseyt17
    kelseyt17 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Push through it. Its the only way for your body to get used to it.
  • jadi97
    jadi97 Posts: 26
    Options
    yea its definitely DOMS, my arms class was tues and legs was thursday. technically should have ran last night, but i could barely move. its not injury pain, just soreness, and i did notice at the yoga class, i didnt hurt as bad once i got warmed up. Thanks for the advice. I think i am going to give it a go and see how i feel.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    Pain is your friend. Like it. :smile: but I'd run just every other day right now to ensure maximum recovery.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a protein shake shortly after (30 min to an hour) you run or workout. It will help tremendously with muscle recovery and you won't be as sore.
  • jadi97
    jadi97 Posts: 26
    Options
    thanks everyone for your encouragement, i just finished, and i feel good. honestly once i got started i didnt notice the soreness anymore. -228 calories, check! now to get my snack :)
  • Luv4staind
    Options
    Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink: