Only 1200 calories?

Options
Hi all

So I’m currently 210lbs and would like to lose 35lbs. I’m 5’6 and have asked to lose 2lbs a week. I’ve been given a target of 1200 cals a day. That seems a very little amount for someone of my size.

My mum is currently 175lbs and she too has been given a target of 1200 cals a day.

Can that be correct? Should I only be eating 1200 cals a day? I’m worried the weight loss will stop as I won’t be able to decrease my daily calorie intake anymore.

Replies

• minxylicious
    minxylicious Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm 5'5", female, lightly active and 175lbs. I've also been given an allowance of 1200 calories to lose 1.5lbs per week. I'm using this app along with weight watchers (the old version, I kept all the stuff) and it tallies up with my points allowance, although I'm more conscious of macros.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    2lb a week is aggressive but fine with your stats. Your issue is the activity setting. You are not sedentary.

Also, the goal calculators are best guesses based on stats. Some people will have a higher or lower BMR. You have to track your intake/exercise for a few weeks (I'd suggest 6) at least to be able to determine what your actual numbers are.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My experience was much like @SueSueDio. It took me 2 years to lose the weight and although I was on 1200 calories with a goal of 2.0 pounds a week I averaged about 1.7 at first then 1.3 and so on. Once I got down to 20 pounds to my goal I went to 1300 calories a day and it took me a year to lose that last 20 pounds but it was worth it. I've been maintaining for 2 years and my weight has crept up about 5 (from 143) pounds in that time. I am 5'5" tall and my maintenance range is 145 - 150. I would love to be 135 but I refuse to suffer that much, lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Well I have two young children and work in a school so I very rarely sit down to be honest lol. I did set it as sedentary though because I do not engage in ‘typical exercise’. Maybe I’ll have another play around, put down 1.5lbs a week and lightly active and see what it gives me as I do think 1200 is prob too low if my mum is allowed the same and has a lot less to lose than me! I’d prob end up binging eating that little 🙈

The activity level descriptors make no mention of exercise...they describe your day to day. If you are on your feet most of the time, you aren't sedentary..you don't have to do purposeful exercise to not be considered sedentary. Without purposeful exercise, I'm still light active and I have a desk job and sit a lot...but when I'm at home I'm on my feet most of the evening helping take care of my boys, cooking, cleaning, pool maintenance, fixing this or that, etc. Sedentary is literally sitting on your *kitten* most of the time.

So for starters, you've incorrectly established your activity level...go by the descriptors, that's what they're there for.

Secondly, you've selected an aggressive weight loss target rate. 2 Lbs per week may not sound like a lot, but it is...and it's a 1,000 calorie deficit from your maintenance calories...so if you maintained on 2200 calories per day, you would obviously get a target of 1,200 calories to lose 2 Lbs per week.

Beyond that, 1200 is the lowest MFP will go, so for many, it doesn't even truly represent a 1,000 calorie deficit...those people would typically be truly sedentary and usually short.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I got 1500kcal update today for 2lbs/ a week so i needed to lower my expectations to 1,5lbs per week. I would feel not so good, on 1750kcal is better instead.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I started my journey at 5'8" and 213 pounds. I was given the same goal, 1200 calories. I did it, and didn't go hungry. So it can be done. You can change your settings... like change the amount per week you want to lose, and it will give you more calories. But you'll also lose slower, which isn't really a bad thing.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    poisonesse wrote: »
    I started my journey at 5'8" and 213 pounds. I was given the same goal, 1200 calories. I did it, and didn't go hungry. So it can be done. You can change your settings... like change the amount per week you want to lose, and it will give you more calories. But you'll also lose slower, which isn't really a bad thing.

I started at 1200 calories for a 2 lb/week loss and was hungry so almost immediately switched it to 1370 calories for a 1 lb/week loss. That small amount of extra calories made a huge difference for me at the beginning. I felt satiated and still averaged 2.5 lbs a week loss. Go figure. 😁
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550413119302487 here is the link to the study. Danp. Ofc in terms of determined weight losing person it does not matter, but untrained person at first time loss atempt, quite the contrary.