For those tracking macros, what % do you have it set at?

Options
right now I am 25% carbs, 35% fat, 40% protein....I've increased my carbs and decreased my protein just a little since I started back in April.

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I don't do it by %, I do it manually by grams. Currently cutting and on 135 P 100 C and 65 F . I do it like this because I need to change it regularly based on weight loss/gain. So that I continue to have 2-2.2P per kilo body weight, 0.8-1F per kilo and the rest carbs.

I just checked and percentages are: 26C 38F 35P ... there you go.
  • Thin_Thesis
    Thin_Thesis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find I’m the least hungry if I eat a pretty equal amount of each (so like 33-33-33). I think I have it set on 30% carbs, and 35% fat and protein.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    When I'm in a deficit I calorie cycle and don't go by % since it changes and I aim for a range rather than a set number. I would say on average though 35% carbs (193g), 30% protein (165g which usually ends up being more like 150g), and 35% fat (86g)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic, I am targeting 25%C/25%P/50%F, but I will likely change that soon to get more protein when my total allowed calories drops as my weight drops.
  • dloewen17
    dloewen17 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I’m with @Thin_Thesis. I try to do about 33% of each. It’s worked great for me.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    My percentages change a little based on how many calories I'm going for each day (which can change based on my goals, exercise routine, etc).

I always set the protein % such that it gives me 150-160g per day. For me, that's usually 25-35%.
    I always set fat % so I'm somewhere in the 50-75g range.
    Carbs usually take up the rest.

For me it's usually a pretty even split... something like 30%p, 40%c, 30%f (ish)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    35/30/35 The 30 being fat. The only one I have to watch is fat because I eat such a significant amount of my calories in a single meal it is often low. I am not a big macro tracker. I am probably a micro macro tracker.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    35 C / 35 F / 30 P.

There was no rhyme or reason to this. I kept fine-tuning the numbers so I wouldn't have to see the red font on my MFP diary everyday, and this is where things ended up.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    I have it set at Protein 40, Carbs 30 and fat 30, but it ends up closer to 35- 50- for fat or protein and 23-27 carbs. The 35-35-30 works great
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,153 Member
    Options
    I set my macros in grams, loosely using 0.6-0.8g protein minimum per pound of healthy goal weight (others' goals may differ), and 0.35-0.45g fat minimum per pound of healthy goal weight. I use carbs (and occasionally a bit of alcohol ;) ) as the calorie balancer (don't much care how many/few carbs I eat, because they're not an essential nutrient . . . but I don't think they're something one needs to minimize, either).

I still use the free MFP, so just set the percentages to come close to my gram goals with my pre-exercise calorie level, but eat to a round-number gram goal that's easy to remember. When the numbers turn red and green because my results don't match MFP's estimates, I just pretend it's Christmas.

To me, the percents idea doesn't make sense. For example: When I was obese, I could eat more calories and maintain my weight, but I didn't need more protein, because protein is for maintaining lean mass, and my lean mass wasn't that different, obese or thin. It makes more sense to me to set goals based on my body characteristics and personal goals, not as some percent of calories that will be higher if I'm trying to maintain weight, lower if I'm trying to lose weight. (I for sure don't want to eat less protein just because I'm trying to lose weight vs. maintain it!)

But, as I recognize, this may well be overthinking, and even I don't think exactitude is vital in meeting macro goals. For most people, the MFP defaults aren't terrible - they're based on common nutritional standards developed via research.

Most people in the world eat what they can get, without explicit attention to macros. Most well-enough-off people in the first world eat whatever seems yummy and enjoyable, without much interest in nutrition at all. Many among both groups lead long lives, and often experience decades of tolerable health.