Finally getting started

Options
Tipped the scale this morning at 302.8. I am 6’6” with a large frame, but enough is enough. So (probably for the thousandth time) today will be “Day 1”. Goal is modest - start with dropping 52 pounds over five months. The journey begins!!

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard.
  • mahnoorbaig31
    mahnoorbaig31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Welcome herd
  • hafsatoheed2019
    hafsatoheed2019 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hahaahahhaah
    Thousand time day 1
    Same here
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    welcome aboard, i lost 26lbs in 5 years, so its not easy thing to do. Were like 42lbs but id f*** up, staying hard on the goal is the key. Was mistaken that not logging will do me good. It was not. Now i am logging accurately and its working.
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You won't regret it and will probably be delighted with your results. Be patient and courageous and be kind to yourself and it will work.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

Give yourself time to lose the weight. It didn't come on overnight and it won't come off overnight.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Welcome,

I have a few questions:
    What is it you're planning to do differently this time? What went wrong with the other thousand attempts that caused them to fail? What have you learned from those attempts that didn't work so you don't go doing those wrong things and making the same mistakes?

Also, 10lbs+ per month isn't even close to modest. In fact at close 2.5lbs per week it's better described as aggressive. Why do you need to achieve such a difficult and strenuous goal? Why do you need to make things that hard for yourself?

You've set your self a 5 month time limit to lose 50lbs. Why? What happens if you only lose 20lbs in 5 months? What happens if it takes you a year to lose 50lbs?

G'luck
  • stephendiotte
    stephendiotte Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Danp thank you for your questions and feedback. The two big things for me will be cutting sugar out to the greatest extent possible and sticking with the log. I have fumbled both of these in the past. Also cutting out bread which is a tough one because my wife makes it from scratch for our kids every day. Last thing is intermittent fasting with a nine hour window each day. I have read a lot a out this and have never tried it. I am a former world class athlete so prefer goals tat are a little more aggressive. The best “insurance” would be more gym time which is something I am struggling with. Hoping as the weight drops it gets easier. The easy stuff is coming off now. Down 4 pounds in the first five days.
    To everyone else, thank you for your positive feedback. I have also not joined a community like this. I like what I see so far!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I can understand the having aggressive goals thing, I think there a lots of people here that can relate to wanting results NOW!!, but keep in mind, what's the point of aggressive goals if they're ineffective because they're unsustainable? You have to decide if you want another short term aggressive attempt or try a new approach that doesn't burn you out. The tired old marathon not a sprint analogy is apt here.

Sugar isn't the devil that it's often made out to be but sugar does pack in the calories. Cutting back on sugar can be a good thing as it's a good way to reign in the calories (which is what really matters).

Also, look at the things you're doing and ask yourself honestly if these are things you can commit to forever. Specifically are you prepared to never ever again eat your wife's bread. Ever. If you can't honestly say yes that you'll never again eat that bread again then "cutting it out" is a temporary measure which will yield temporary results. The biggest culprit in the 'restarting' is making temporary changes since when you stop those temporary changes you end up right back where you started and end up having to 'start again'. Bread (and carbs) again are not evil, if your wife makes delicious fresh home made bread then by all means incorporate it into your eating habits and fit it into your calorie target. As long as you're maintaining your calorie deficit you can eat what you like and it sounds like you like your wife's bread

IF can be an effective tool in achieving a calorie deficit for some people but it isn't magic. Other than a cup of coffee in the morning I eat all my calories at night since I'm rarely feel like eating during the day and always tend to be naturally hungry at night. This eating pattern makes sense for me. For others this would be horrible and unsustainable. Meal timing is a personal thing and paying attention to when you consume your calories can be a really helpful tool but forcing an eating pattern that doesn't work for the sake of it isn't a good plan. Play around and see how you go.
  • KeelyM423
    KeelyM423 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Best of luck.