Invisible Jump rope?

Options
Hello all! I've been struggling to fit in a decent amount of cardio into my workout since my endurance level is like -4 and I need to burn off some fat, so I've taken up jump rope. However, I'm really struggling with the whole 'jumping over the rope' part, heh :p. I know I'll get better with time but it's still frustrating and throws off my groove. Today I ditched the actual rope and just hopped around doing the arm motions as if I had an 'invisible jump rope' and it sufficiently tired me out. I felt good about it after even though I probably looked crazy. I was just wondering if that is as good as regular jump rope, or if I should push through my frustrations?

Replies

• MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    for now it's great. once you get a lot more fit, you can look into getting a weighted jump rope that the boxers use, you can pick those up in sports stores. but for now it's as good as using a real rope and nowhere as frustrating. i envy you. i can't jump. i think i've been programmed to never have two feet off the ground at the same time. lol
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Starting anywhere is good. If you're having a bit of a clumsy start with the jump rope, try something else. Walk. Walk in place. Can you buy a "walk at home" dvd?

Otherwise, do what you're doing and it will help. Just move, that helps.
  • echeindl
    echeindl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    On Jillians 30 day shred, there is a part where you do an invisible jump rope and I do think it is as effective as if you had an actual jump rope.
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    JM's 30 day shred incorporates invisible jump rope as part of cardio. She also has double jump rope. I think it is all the same. I love doing it because it is so easy on my knees and I still sweat. And you are right, the real jump ropes actually slows me down.
  • hilarityensues
    hilarityensues Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @MarieNevada: Thanks! I'm going to invisijump for now with normal jump roping on the side if i have time to condition myself to get weighted ones! And you'll get there one day! :) Right now it kinda sucks cause my belly jumps with me :P oh well! It's fun!

@CharlieBarleyMom: I can't buy anything right now, student budget and whatnot :) However I do try to move around a lot...when watching movies at home or playing video games i stand and sometimes march in place. Thanks for the tips!

@echeindl: Sweet, thanks!

@boneswoop: Yep, that's why I've chosen jumping over running because my knees are a little weak.
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    IF the jump rope is the correct length you will not have issues jumping over the rope....I found this out by trying to jump rope myself. I could not get the grove that the others had jumping, I just kept missing or could only get 3-5 jumps in. An instructor handed me another rope and I was then able to get in 50 jumps without missing. What a difference it made. I can now jump rope for 1 minute without messing up. That is a lot of jumping for an overweight person.
    Good luck.
    I do think an invisible rope works as long as you are doing the jumping.
  • hilarityensues
    hilarityensues Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @lbeasey: Hmm. That could be it, as I am somewhat tall (5'10), but it was the longest one I could find...I'll look around some more, thanks!