Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!

Options
Anyone have a good taco recipe? Maybe with ground turkey or something? I LOVE my cheese and sour cream! haha

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I make soft tacos with whole wheat tortillas, chicken, salsa, olives, lettuce, onion, tomato, whatever I feel like putting in there. It's so easy to vary the ingredients!

I'm going to try fish tacos with tilapia next. We'll see how that goes.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I use black beans instead of meat and then top with cheese lettuce and tomto's and avocado!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    If I use ground turkey then I just brown it and add some chili seasoning and garlic powder then make tacos as usual.

If I use chicken then I throw the chicken breasts in the crock pot, cover with salsa and let cook all day. The meat shreds nicely and has great flavor. I think I will actually add these to the meal plan next week.
  • newmommynewfitme
    Options
    Mini Taco Bowls: http://www.emilybites.com/2011/02/mini-taco-bowls.html
    Source: Emily Bites Original

Ingredients:
    6 - 6” Tortillas (I used Mission Extra Thin Yellow Corn Tortillas)
    Cooking Spray
    ½ lb Extra Lean Ground Turkey (I used Jennie-O) OR 95% Lean Ground Beef
    ½ packet of Taco Seasoning (I used Old El Paso)
    1/3 c water
    3 T Reduced Fat Shredded Mexican Cheese (I used Weight Watchers brand)
    6 t Taco Sauce (I used Ortega)
    Shredded Lettuce
    6 Grape Tomatoes, quartered

Directions:
    1. Preheat the oven to 375.
    2. Sprinkle each tortilla lightly with water and stack them on a plate. Cover the top with another plate turned upside down and microwave the tortillas for 1 minute or until warm. Turn two 12 cup muffin pans upside down. Mist each side of a tortilla lightly with cooking spray and center it in the space between 4 muffin cups, creating a bowl. Repeat with the 5 remaining tortillas, forming 3 bowls on each tin (as pictured above). Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
    3. While the tortilla bowls are baking, spray a large skillet with cooking spray and add the ground turkey or beef and brown. Add 1/3 c water and taco seasoning, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer 3-4 minutes.
    4. Let the tortilla bowls cool for a few minutes after removing them from the oven. In each bowl, layer ¼ c meat, 1 T cheese, 1 t taco sauce, 4 quarters of grape tomato and some shredded lettuce (in any order you choose).

Yields 3 (2 taco) servings. WW P+: 5 per serving.
    The points per 2 taco serving remain the same whether using the extra lean ground turkey or the 95% lean ground beef.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    We had chicken tacos while we were camping, we brought our crock pot and I threw in some chicken breasts with some water and salsa.. let it cook all day and came back around dinner time drained the liquid and pulled the chicken apart with forks to make it nice and shredded.. put it back in the crock pot and added in some taco seasoning.. everyone loved it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Low fat ground beef or turkey and low fat cheese and sour cream. Skip flour tortilla and go with corn or other whole grain, and load up with fresh salsa and onion. White fish or shredded chicken works really well too, or just use beans instead of meat.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I always brown my ground meat (turkey, usually, but whatever you want!) and then add in chopped onion, bell pepper, and grated carrot to bulk up the filling. Serve it with shredded lettuce, pico de gallo or homemade salsa, and nice fresh avocado. I usually have mine over salad instead of with taco shells so that I can load up on toppings without the extra calories of the shells, but that's just me :wink: I'm all about making the most of my calories!

If you want, here's a great low sodium taco seasoning recipe (altered from http://www.closetcooking.com/2009/08/taco-seasoning.html)...

1 tablespoon chili powder (toasted and ground dried chilies)
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons cumin (toasted and ground)
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    (optional - 1 Tbsp corn starch for thickening)

Mix everything together and add it once the meat is browned. Add water as needed while cooking to prevent sticking and make a nice little "gravy". Tada!
  • xxrocksteadyxx
    Options
    I always brown my ground meat (turkey, usually, but whatever you want!) and then add in chopped onion, bell pepper, and grated carrot to bulk up the filling. Serve it with shredded lettuce, pico de gallo or homemade salsa, and nice fresh avocado. I usually have mine over salad instead of with taco shells so that I can load up on toppings without the extra calories of the shells, but that's just me :wink: I'm all about making the most of my calories!

If you want, here's a great low sodium taco seasoning recipe (altered from http://www.closetcooking.com/2009/08/taco-seasoning.html)...

1 tablespoon chili powder (toasted and ground dried chilies)
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons cumin (toasted and ground)
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    (optional - 1 Tbsp corn starch for thickening)

Mix everything together and add it once the meat is browned. Add water as needed while cooking to prevent sticking and make a nice little "gravy". Tada!

I hadn't even thought about serving it over salad! That's such a great idea! Thanks!
  • xxrocksteadyxx
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone!! I'm going to try some soon! Taco Bell is my weakness, so I'm trying to find ways to replace it. :)
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you are really watching your calories, try loading up your taco fillings on to Romaine leaves. They are like little boats and hold the fillings perfectly plus you still get the crunch like a taco! You can even wrap them up around each other to make a psuedo burrito. I use these like a hamburger bun or the "bread" for my BLTs as well.....I never miss the bread anymore!
  • benzgirl1
    Options
    Hello MFP,
    Awesome results on your weight loss! I have just gotten started. I had a set back after losing my daughter last year. What are you doing to get your results?
  • Carmendu
    Carmendu Posts: 409
    Options
    Rabbitrunfarm that is an awesome idea. i never would have thought of doing that. I eat way to much bread so that will help me tremendously. Thanks.
  • umfan85
    umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I love Taco's, bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    My mom makes the BEST. TACOS. EVER. It's so weird. She has told me her "secret" that someone else told her but I really think she's leaving something out because it never ever ever EVER tastes the same when I try to make them that way. :grumble:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I just go to Taco Bell and have a Fresco style chicken soft taco. Just 150 calories.
  • JenniferMarshall
    Options
    Hmm. Taco over salad... sounds yummy! I will have to save some of these and talk to my mother about making them (kinda hard when your the only one trying to diet in a household of 4... )
  • mommy2b2
    mommy2b2 Posts: 43
    Options
    Bump
  • terryrob2
    terryrob2 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump love taco bell