Runner's knee, ok to start again?

Options
Hi all!
I'm wanting advice on restarting running after getting runner's knee pretty badly about 9 years ago now.
At the time, all I did was running in terms of exercise, and I rarely bothered to stretch out (I was 22 and untouched by any previous injuries!)
Since then, I have taken up ballet as a means of being fit and strengthening my leg muscles, and then yoga and general core fitness exercises, as well as cycling and swimming and hiking.
I'd be interested to hear from any previous runners who have come back from injuries and on how they did it, and whether they continue to experience the injuries.
Thanks all!
Laura

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    "Runners knee" can be several different issues and can be caused by different issues. I had an ITB issue a few years ago that I believe was caused by muscle weakness combined with the new shoes I was wearing. I trashed the shoes, rested, and strengthened my hips.

I suggest working you way back into running slowly. Even if you are in great shape running is not something you want over do. Go slower and shorter than you think you need to. Maybe try a program like 'couch to 5k'.

Good luck.
  • sxekev
    sxekev Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Runner's knee is typically caused by:
    1. Weak glutes
    2. Weak core
    3. Tight Quads/Hip Flexors

Strengthen the first two, then foam roll, release and stretch the quads.