Boxing for Fitness

Options
Does anyone take boxing classes just for fitness purposes, and not to become a fighter? I've been taking classes since last month, and in my experience, that is probably the toughest type of workout. Granted, i'm 50 years old, but you work your *kitten* off for that one hour of training. What's your experience been with boxing?

Replies

• geauxtigerlily
    geauxtigerlily Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do! I've been at a kickboxing gym for 6 years now, and I have no goals to be a fighter but love my classes. I'm never bored, always working on improving my technique, and it's a killer full body workout. My experience is that bag work is important, but a good training program should get you in the ring for drills and some sparring rounds even if you aren't looking to fight.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I haven't done any boxing but I have tried shadowboxing and hitting a heavy bag (in lieu of jumping rope) moving constantly for 3 mins at a time and it is exhausting.

As a boxing fan, it gave me great respect for what professional boxers do in the ring. Except in the heavy wt division, I can't recall a boxer who was fat or out of shape but they do a lot more than train at boxing to get like that.

However, I don't see how it could hurt you to use boxing as your primary fitness routine but it should probably be supplemented with other things such as lifting and an endurance cardio activity like running, bike or rowing for a more well rounded physical training program.
  • Natalietia
    Natalietia Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been going to a boxing gym for about a year and absolutely love the workout! I found a new respect for boxers when I started as I don't think most people realise how tough it is. I do this alongside weight training and running.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I regularly having boxing sessions with my PT and yes they can be really tough working the whole body and even giving my brain a workout.

We also use boxing as a warm up.

But despite her spending a lot of time teaching me to punch correctly, dodge weave, work on stance etc. I never intend to actually fight anyone. (Despite one of her favourite things to say to me is "do you think someone will wait if you ask them to while you change stance")