Is it bad to go over sugar that comes from fruit?

Options
If I eat fruit and a like a teaspoon of honey in my tea and it causes me to go over my sugar allotment for the day is that bad?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It’s not “bad” to go over the sugar guideline given by MFP unless you are diabetic, or have some other medical reason to limit sugar intake.
  • M3lma3
    M3lma3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :)
  • jenpobble
    jenpobble Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this thread as I am having the same problem and was worried - I go over every day and it all comes from fruit and milk.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    I eat two bananas, an orange, a cup of blueberries (140g), 200g of cherries, and 2-300g of strawberries every day. My fridge is stuffed with fruit and veg, which spills out onto countertops.

I may be a little fruit heavy but I figure it’s a damn sight better than the two or three pounds of chocolate candy “old me” could knock back every stinking day. Plus those bags of cookies, and generally cake. A lot of cake.

I’ll take fruit for $1,000, Alex.
  • Jenanne31
    Jenanne31 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The default sugar recommendation in MFP is based on the USDA recommendation for ADDED sugar. It was never intended to include fruit. Unless you are trying to figure out a dose of insulin there is zero reason to keep an eye on sugar in particular anyway. Sugar is just one form of carb. Enjoy your fruit, within your calorie goals!

That's nice to know; I wasn't aware of that. I go over the allotted grams of sugar every day as well and I eat very little added sugar. I wasn't super worried about it, but I did wonder how it was calculated. Thanks, Rhedd!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    [MFP Mods removed the quote]

I'll just carry on eating fruit and protein bars, then.

Who know it wasn't either/or?!
  • M3lma3
    M3lma3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, very insightful and useful information!