September Challenge & Motivation Group

Options
I keep looking for a new challenge group and can't seem to find one. I am a part of an August challenge group and it has been a great source of motivation to meet our weekly challenges but the group is so large (started with over 150 on my team -there are 3 teams - ended with 60) that I haven't been able to get to know my groupmates and that is something I really want to do. To talk to the same 10 or 20 people to encourage them as well as be encouraged by them so I have been searching for a new group a smaller group and every time I find one that looks promising I find out that it's too late they are full or they aren't even thinking of accepting new members. :grumble:

Since I can't find a group, I've decide to try and start my own group!! I don't have a name or any special logos or tag lines but I figure we can come up with that one later. So I'm looking for 10-20 MFPs who are looking to come together and challenge each other. I have some general ideas on goals etc.

1. Try for 10 pounds in September - we might not each reach it but its good to have a start point.
2. Create weekly challenges that focus on specific nutritional or exercise goals.
3. Do weekly weigh ins - I like Fridays - I know some people like Mondays but I like to know what I weigh before the temptations of the weekend!:tongue:
4. Be supportive to each other, share good recipes and work out tips.

So I guess I should share a little about me... I am a 33 yo high school teacher that has been overweigh her whole life (mostly). After college I dropped around 50 pounds (not the right way but then it wasn't on purpose either - it was just life circumstances) and go to my lowest adult weight of 175 not thin but I looked decent and felt better than I ever had before. Needless to say it didn't last... I did ok for a few years but when life stressed me out food callled my name and I came running! I have been yo-yoing up and down for years but never getting back to that 175. I went through a really stressful year (horrible new administration) in which I gained until I was around 240. I transfered to a less stressful school and by the start of that school year I was back down to 215 but again I didn't do it the right way. I went on HCG and while I still believe in HCG I didn't have a good plan for when I went off of it which resulted in me climbing back up and by Turkey Day I was an overstuffed turkey hovering in the upper 240s:explode: . That scared the crud out of me and I got moving again and managed to lose about 10 pounds through the holiday season but I was refusing to exercise I never had to exercise in the past so when a friend was in serious trouble I stepped in to help and lost track of myself again. I had an interview scheduled for a summer job and none of my work pants fit. I had to purchase a new outfit and the sizes scared me:huh: I hadn't worn anything that big since "raver" pants were in style. So I stopped avoiding the scale and found that my weight had climbed back up again to a new all time high of 256.:sad: I couldn't believe what I had done to myself again. So I started trying again and within a week or so I found MFP and the weight has been falling off. I am working out just about EVERYDAY. I have logged in to MFP everyday since the first day for a total of 65 days and 31 pounds lost!! I have TONS of short and long term goals but the ultimate goal is to be within the healthy weight range for my height by my cousins wedding next June - I would say I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I'm not taking chances I working my @$$ off! (literally and figuratively)

I know i have run on and on but I'm hoping to find equally motivated MFPs, with similar goals or obstacles and thought sharing about my struggles would let you know something about me to make it easier for you to do the same.

If you are interested in joining a smaller group of 10-20 dedicate MFPs who are challenging themself to drop 10 in September, drop me a line and we will start on Thursday (sept 1)!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• plutoniansmash
    Options
    I would love to join! :) Sounds perfect for me!
  • rocki21
    rocki21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would also like to join
  • ashley_navy
    Options
    count me in :)
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm in! :D
  • happyhealthydiana
    happyhealthydiana Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ohh! Me too! I'd like to join! I am very familiar with the whole weight/emotional roller-coaster and would love to join a group to be a little more accountable!
  • lisateachawa
    lisateachawa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join. Count me in and please add me as a friend.
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    sounds fun
  • keyaniab
    keyaniab Posts: 56
    Options
    Count me in!! I would love to join!
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    So excited to see people interested! I've started trying to add you all as friends but MFP has stopped me in my tracks (i didn't know there was a limit!).... I haven't forgotten you if you haven't heard from me yet you will I PROMISE!!!
  • katybatybear
    Options
    I'm very interested in joining...I had gastric surgery over 2 years ago and the fat chick is slowly trying to take over my body one cookie at a time...with school and a job with a high suicide..i mean turnover rate...I've put on 30 lbs....my initial goal was 170 but I would be happy with a goal of taking off he additional lbs that I put back on....just needing tips and motivation....even with the tools that I've been given after surgery, life's evil ways have a way of taking over.....
  • delmeg10
    delmeg10 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in this as well. :-)
  • KJanae87
    KJanae87 Posts: 54
    Options
    I am new. Just joined last week and was hoping to join a small group of people to help keep me motivated and to help motivate!
  • Shalimarmandy
    Options
    So I think I have friended/added everyone who posted and messaged me. If I haven't added you as a friend please let me know and I'll fix that ASAP... We have 13 people (plus me) so far and everyone sounds as excited as I am!

Here's the list so far if I missed you I appologize just let me know! You might want to consider adding the other members as friends so you can keep up with and encourage each other...

Plutoniansmash
    Rocki21
    GDR1976
    Keyaniab
    Katybatybear
    Vanezache
    Rebelliousroses
    Jnchorn
    delmeg10
    lisateachawa
    happyhealthydiana
    Ashley_navy
    Kgoller87

If anyone has any suggestions for a "cutesy" name for our group let's hear it! I can create a little banner for anyone wanting to add that to their signature and I've already started a spreadsheet with your names on it. I'll add your sept. starting weights on Thursday and post the a link for everyone! Can't wait to get started next week! I'm off to bed for the night but I think we could add a couple more people, if anyone is interested just let me know! Have a great night all!
  • chedderman
    Options
    I would like to be part of this.Just wondering what part of the world we are in.I am in Sydney

Maggie
  • laurielie
    laurielie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If its not to late.........please add me! I so need the Motivation =D.................thanks:drinker:
  • Rachel1913
    Rachel1913 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would like to join if its not too late.
  • ashley_navy
    Options
    What does everyone think about the "September Shred" :) just an idea
  • Shalimarmandy
    Options
    Good Morning everyone! Here is our updated group "roster," please let me know if I've left anyone off

Ashley_navy
    chedderman
    delmeg10
    GDR1976
    happyhealthydiana
    Jnchorn
    Katybatybear
    Keyaniab
    kgoller87
    Laurielie
    lisateachawa
    Plutoniansmash
    Rachel1913
    Rebelliousroses
    Rocki21
    Shalimarmandy
    Vanezache

And what do you all think about September Shred for a group name? I think its pretty good!
  • delmeg10
    delmeg10 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    And what do you all think about September Shred for a group name? I think its pretty good!

September Shred works for me! :happy:
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'm in!