Healthy Cupcakes!

Options
I am going to my good friend's picnic next saturday and since they say I am a wonderful baker they asked me to bring cupcakes. Do any of yall have any healthy cupcake and icing recipes?

Replies

• LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump - if such a thing exsists I want to know!!!
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    I just found this on another post and printed it out for myself. Not my recipe, never tried it, but sounds great!

Pumpkin Cupcakes (1 cupcake per serving, makes 30 cupcakes)

1 box Duncan Hines Spice Cake Mix
    1 15 oz can Libby's Pumpkin
    1 single serving cup of cinnamon applesauce
    1 whole egg
    1/3 cup egg whites
    1/3 cup water

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together (I had to use and electric mixer to make this smooth). Pour into cups (I used a muffin pan with aluminum cups)...cups should be a little over half full. Bake for 16-19 minutes (mine were done at about 17...they are ready when the tops are springy).

Enjoy!!

Calories: 118
    Carbs: 18
    Fat: 5
    Protein: 2
    Sodium: 139
    Fiber: 1
    Edited by letsdothis2010 on Sat 08/27/11 11:15 AM
  • Ruthann2
    Ruthann2 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Bump sounds yummy
  • Calahanras
    Options
    yum
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Google for a website called chocolate covered Katie (or catie). She has really healthy cupcake recipes. I have it stored in my home computer, but I am on phone today!

Chocolatecoveredkatie.com
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Okay, I don't know if this fits the bill, but I got it from my Grandmother's "THE VICTORY COOK BOOK... WARTIME EDITION"
    (We're talking WWII when sugar was rationed...) I love the cookie recipes sweet enough to be a treat, but way less sweet by today's standard.

And Maple Syrup is a natural form of sugar if that meaningful to you.

You'll have to adjust for cupcake vs. cake. My guess would be 25-30 minutes in the oven for cupcakes, But I'd double check by looking for some recipes that give both cake and cupcake direction.

===========
    MAPLE SIRUP CAKE
    ===========
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/3 cup shortening
    3/4 cup Maple Sirup
    1/2 cup Milk
    Salt
    2-1/4 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    3 egg-whites

Cream the sugar and shortening together. And the sirup and stir well. Add the milk and flour alternately. Fold in the beaten egg-whites and bake in a oblong pan (350 - 375 degrees F.) 45-60 minutes When the cake is baked and cool, place it on an inverted cake pan and cover with Maple Sugar Frosting, No. 2

===========
    MAPLE SUGAR FROSTING No 2.
    ===========
    3/4 cup maple sirup
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 egg-white.

Cook sirup and sugar together until it spins a thread (220 degrees F) when dropped from a spoon. Pour this sirup slowly over the beaten egg-white and beat until cold.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Google for a website called chocolate covered Katie (or catie). She has really healthy cupcake recipes. I have it stored in my home computer, but I am on phone today!

Chocolatecoveredkatie.com

omg...

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/07/10/my-go-t-chocolate-cupcake-recipe/
    I'd totally use real yogurt and milk, since I'm not vegan
  • deevo
    deevo Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yes I do!!! It is a low calorie Red Velvet Recipe from the Hungry Girl collection. You can also go to hungry girl website. I too these cupcakes to a picnic this summer and everyone loved them...they are very moist!!
    It makes 12 cupcakes but I doubled the recipes. Because the recipe calls for small amounts of ingredients you can use it again :)

Red Velvet Insanity Cupcakes
    For Frosting
    6 tbsp. Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme
    6 tbsp. Cool Whip Free, thawed
    1/4 cup fat-free cream cheese, softened
    1 tbsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)

For Cupcakes
    1 cup Pillsbury Moist Supreme Reduced Sugar Cake Mix, Devil's Food**
    1 cup Pillsbury Moist Supreme Reduced Sugar Cake Mix, Classic Yellow**
    Two 25-calorie diet hot cocoa mix packets
    1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
    1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
    1/2 oz. red food coloring
    1 tsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated) (stevia is my favorite)
    1/8 tsp. salt

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350

In med. bowl. combine all frosting ingredients except for cool whip until mixed well. Fold in cool whip and refrigerate until cupcakes are ready to be frosted.

In tall glass, place half of the min chips and the contents of both cocoa packets. Add 1/2 cup boiling water and stir until chips and cocoa are dissolved. Add 1 C. cold water and mix well.

Pour cocoa mix into a large bowl. Add cake mixes, egg sub, remaining chips, food coloring, splenda (stevia). Whisk for about 2 min, until smooth and blended. Batter will be thin.

Line 12 muffin pans. Evenly distribute. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Cupcakes will look shiny when done.
    Allow to cool before distributing evenly the icing.
  • laurielie
    laurielie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just found this on another post and printed it out for myself. Not my recipe, never tried it, but sounds great!

Pumpkin Cupcakes (1 cupcake per serving, makes 30 cupcakes)

1 box Duncan Hines Spice Cake Mix
    1 15 oz can Libby's Pumpkin
    1 single serving cup of cinnamon applesauce
    1 whole egg
    1/3 cup egg whites
    1/3 cup water

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together (I had to use and electric mixer to make this smooth). Pour into cups (I used a muffin pan with aluminum cups)...cups should be a little over half full. Bake for 16-19 minutes (mine were done at about 17...they are ready when the tops are springy).

Enjoy!!

Calories: 118
    Carbs: 18
    Fat: 5
    Protein: 2
    Sodium: 139
    Fiber: 1
    Edited by letsdothis2010 on Sat 08/27/11 11:15 AM
  • laurielie
    laurielie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    sounds good!! thanks =D :flowerforyou:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin. :love:
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    These look delicious. She has so many great recipes
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/pina-colada-cupcakes.html
  • rosefish225
    Options
    bump
  • heather_miller
    heather_miller Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    saving for later. ;)
  • lsgarris
    lsgarris Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kitty412
    Kitty412 Posts: 152
    Options
    Those cupcakes sound soo good. Can't wait to make them. :)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    1 can pumpkin
    1 box cake mix of your choice. ( I really like chocolate ones). Sometimes the batter is thicker than others (guess depends upon the brand) so if it isn'tenough to mix thoroughly add a bit of water. The batter will be very thick.

Before I was dieting, I threw in nuts and coconut.

Cook like you would the regular cake mix.

They are really moist....and yummy....but they pretty much bake in the same shape they start out..so try to spread them smooth.