Postworkout nutrition

Options
tec9goo
tec9goo Posts: 119 Member
I know that the 45minute window has been debunked but it's still advised to not go beyond 2 hours post workout with no food, especially if you plan on being active. However I have a question on bulking. Is it bad if we dont eat postworkout and do activities? Like my gym is quite a distance away but I can get a ride there but I have to walk back. Walking aka cardio after a workout when trying to bulk, when its ENDURANCE cardio, I heard was bad. Also I heard that not eating after a workout when BULKING was not IDEAL.
You look at people like physiqueofgreatness or any bodybuilder and they all swear by the pwo shake or meal asap.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    What kind of Bulk are we talking about?
    Gaining a few pound to look better or serious gains?

Only asking because I am gaining a few pounds, but I train with a couple of serious body builders.
    Those guys would be eating during the workout if they could. One of them drinks whey during the workout, which i tried and it almost made me vomit.

This is something impossible to measure, but everyone i know who's been making consistent gains has a few things in common.
    1 - Very Intense Workouts, meaning lots of heavy lifting
    2 - Big calorie surplus (500+ extra calories)
    3 - They all eat or drink a high protein meal right after the workout.

If it matters, I don't know... But why mess with a formula that's been working for lots of people?
    They do it, it works, so i am doing it and it has been working.
  • tec9goo
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    You are overcomplicating it. Have you been gaining and progressing in your lifts? Focus on that first. I feel like you keep majoring in the minors and losing sight of what is really important. Pack something in your bag if it helps you get the calories in but your aim should be to get the calories in overall and be gaining. You can eat postworkout all you want but if you aren't in a surplus it's not going to help you bulk and gain muscle.

Thank You. I was just mainly concerned with whether or not it was ideal or not? Is it ideal to get protein and/or carbs in asap postworkout but not to the extreme? Maybe the classic 45minute-1hour thing?
  • tec9goo
    Options
    What I mean from the above is that I know the 45minute to an hour window thing isnt NECESSARY but is it better to get in the P+C than to get it in after an extended period of time?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    It DOESN'T matter as long as you're getting in a surplus of calories by the end of the day. The whole post meal is so exaggerated and bodybuilders that tout it are usually trying to gain mass in excess. But they also eat 4,000-5,000 calories a day. For the NORMAL person, that alone would put on mass.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    tec9goo wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    You are overcomplicating it. Have you been gaining and progressing in your lifts? Focus on that first. I feel like you keep majoring in the minors and losing sight of what is really important. Pack something in your bag if it helps you get the calories in but your aim should be to get the calories in overall and be gaining. You can eat postworkout all you want but if you aren't in a surplus it's not going to help you bulk and gain muscle.

Thank You. I was just mainly concerned with whether or not it was ideal or not? Is it ideal to get protein and/or carbs in asap postworkout but not to the extreme? Maybe the classic 45minute-1hour thing?

I would say if you are bulking it's probably a good idea to eat at some point after (within the hour) anyway to help get your calories in but.. I wouldn't stress out if it doesn't happen.

Most important will be your calorie intake, your workouts/recovery and your macros. The rest is garnish. It's like cooking a dish and being so focused on the herbs on top that you forget about the meat and burn it. Not good right. Same thing.