C25K Tips and advice needed!

Options
I'm going to start C25K tonight and wanted to know anyone's tips for this journey. I am fairly fit but have never liked running so I'm hoping this will help ease me into it. Also how do I log this?
Thanks!

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Stretch before and after, make sure you're properly hydrated before you get started too. Eat some protein and carbs once you're done to help your muscles recover. I'm going to be doing week 4 day 2 tonight, fun fun! lol Feel free to add me if you want more C25k insight!

eta: Oh yeah and for logging it....if you haven't got a heart rate monitor with a chest strap which is your best option, then take the number off the treadmill...or if you aren't using a treadmill....probably would say to log the first week's workouts at around 200-220 each, just to be safe. I really recommend the HRM though, if you want an accurate burn count.
  • kerr2010
    kerr2010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I just did D2W3. I have always hated running. Even when I was in better shape I couldn't do it. A few tips: stretch well, make sure you have good shoes (I don't and I am paying for it; my knees are really sore) and only focus on the week you are at; don't look ahead because it may scare you :). Add me if you would like and we can give each other some support.
    I'm going to start C25K tonight and wanted to know anyone's tips for this journey. I am fairly fit but have never liked running so I'm hoping this will help ease me into it. Also how do I log this?
    Thanks!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Start slow.
    Repeat interval workouts as needed.
    Make sure you have EXCELLENT supportive shoes.
    Stretch afterward.
    Don't worry about your pace, focus on keeping your breathing steady and "going the distance" or completing the time intervals. A slower pace will help you focus on maintaining your running form.
    Have fun!
    Try not to compare yourself to more experienced runners :)
  • Nolynoelia20
    Options
    Def stretch b4 starting and after! Have great music to keep u going! Btw I never liked running either!! Im doing wk 2 day3 tomorrow... Good luck!!
  • bens_mommy
    bens_mommy Posts: 219
    Options
    If you're prone to shin splints, either tape your legs or ice your legs after you work out. I'm not exceptionally fit, but I was able to make it through all of W1D1 without incident, but I was in agony for three days after with shin splints because I took too much, too fast. Being overweight and running didn't help. D:

STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH.
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 9 of the program on Monday - I never thought I would ever get this far. It took me awhile to get here with some detours along the way but now that I have gotten this far I am glad I pushed myself to my limits and beyond.

One thing I really noticed throughout the program is what I ate really made a difference on how good/bad my runs are so keep that in mind. And always remember that you can do it and the further into the program you get the easier it gets.

Also watch your breathing and your footing as well. Hope this helps and good luck with the C25K!!! Feel free to add me if you want, it is always nice to have other running friends :smile:
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to repeat a session if you need too nothing wrong with that. Listen to your body as you go, I recenlty completed the program and it was great helped me enjoy running now.
  • nascardrea8
    Options
    for logging i just kinda added my own walking/running/jogging exercise. i use the nike+gps app, tells me distance, time, pace, and cals burned :) Good Luck....im on Week 4 and will probably hang out here for another week!
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 9 of the program on Monday - I never thought I would ever get this far. It took me awhile to get here with some detours along the way but now that I have gotten this far I am glad I pushed myself to my limits and beyond.

One thing I really noticed throughout the program is what I ate really made a difference on how good/bad my runs are so keep that in mind. And always remember that you can do it and the further into the program you get the easier it gets.

I am struggling with my breathing when running outside..any tips?????

Also watch your breathing and your footing as well. Hope this helps and good luck with the C25K!!! Feel free to add me if you want, it is always nice to have other running friends :smile:
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 2 day 1 today and I'm starting to like it. I tried it was before and hated it...not sure what the difference is. And yes STRETCH before and after! http://www.kissmyblackass.org/podcasts/couch-to-5k/ this website has some podcasts telling you when to walk and run. It's free...I'm not a huge fan of the music, but hey, it's free!
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The first reply got messed up.....

I am struggling w/ my breathing while running outside on Week 3....any suggestions?????

• killagb
    Options
    for logging i just kinda added my own walking/running/jogging exercise. i use the nike+gps app, tells me distance, time, pace, and cals burned :) Good Luck....im on Week 4 and will probably hang out here for another week!

I hear ya there, I might have to consider that for week 4...been sailing through all of it on schedule so far, but I do wonder how good I'll be to go for week 5 after tonight and the last one. Had to take 2 days off after the first day of wk 4...so we'll see! :bigsmile:
  • killagb
    Options
    I just finished week 2 day 1 today and I'm starting to like it. I tried it was before and hated it...not sure what the difference is. And yes STRETCH before and after! http://www.kissmyblackass.org/podcasts/couch-to-5k/ this website has some podcasts telling you when to walk and run. It's free...I'm not a huge fan of the music, but hey, it's free!

lol....kiss my black *kitten* .org? :laugh:
  • MikeBBerger
    Options
    I just started C25K a few weeks ago myself. I'll add my vote for a HRM and good shoes.

Another suggestion is if you are going to be doing the program on a treadmill (and haven't used one regularly) you might want to do a session (or two) of W1D1 the week before beginning the program to gauge your comfortable walking and running/jogging speeds and to make sure you can complete the first week's sessions at those speeds. When in doubt, aim for a slower pace and ease into it. Better to be slow then get injured or frustrated and quit.
  • workinprogress12_2
    workinprogress12_2 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the question...interested in starting myself. Just kinda waiting for the motivation to come. Loved to run when I was younger and have put in little jogs here and there. Looking forward to getting advice myself.
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Off I go! :)
  • killagb
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Off I go! :)

I think you'll enjoy it...first week is fairly easy until the last few intervals...highly do-able. Good luck! :smile:
  • hockeymom180
    hockeymom180 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am struggling w/ my breathing while running outside on Week 3....any suggestions?????

I had a hell of a time with week three. I did it three times. Finally I was so tired of it I just went ahead to week 4 and did great! I don't know why week 3 was so hard for me, but it was. Also, check your allergy forecast -- there might be an air issue if it happens when you're outside.
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options

My breathing still isn't great, don't get me wrong I am still panting but it is not as bad as it used to be. I do try to take deep breaths throughout my whole run instead of literally panting like a dog and that seems to really help. You are supposed to breath through your nose but I have yet to figure that out. Also something else that might help that I am also working on, endurance/interval training, so far I have only got in a couple of days so I don't really know if it helps yet but I can't see why it wouldn't. Good Luck and feel free to friend me if you would like :smile:
  • pverdun
    pverdun Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the very good advice. I have not been much of an excerciser and always wanted to have the ability to run/jog. This is my motivation. I would have definitely compared myself to experienced runners. I will repeat sessions as needed and go slow. Again thank you for some great advice.:smile: